· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your first! - Algenco   You need some fish...hehe - Mith   Happy Holidays - Northernguy   for the awesome posts - mommy1   Thanks - KingFisher   

Default canister filter questions!

0 Not allowed!
    so im looking around for a canister filter for roughly 220$ and below.
    currently i have 2 eheims and i absolutely love them so i was looking at the eheim 2026 which i can get for 211$. i kept searching around and found some others and was wondering if you guys had any personal experience with them. a pros and cons kindof thing.

the choices are:
    eheim 2026 for 211$
    a fluval fx5 for 237$
    a rena xp4 for 200$

filter will be for a 75gal tank in which im currently running an eheim easy 80 and an ac110. depending on which one you guys think is best for it i will probably be putting the eheim easy 80 on my 55gal with my other eheim for extra filtration on the 55.

edit: tanks are in my bedroom so noise is kindof a concern
    another edit: was thinking of getting the 2026 for my 55gal and putting both the easy 80s on the 75gal?
    Last edited by KatzeSlaugen; 01-13-2011 at 06:12 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wecome to the forum - Lady Hobbs   ...Use it wisely. - Drumachine09   Superman of tanks big and bigger - Lady Hobbs   Cheers! - alizee340   for knowing stuff - Nick_Pavlovski   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Dave66   

0 Not allowed!
    To my experience Fluvals are pretty quiet, and since there are eight in my bedroom, I'd know it. I don't know the filters are running unless I touch them.

But it's like cameras; some like Nikon, some like Canon. Fluval is what I use since I always have, but some prefer Eheim, some prefer Rena. Basically it depends on if the filter meets your needs as far as media containment and gallon per hour rate. You'll want a filter rated for a tank at least twice as large as yours.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your first! - Algenco   You need some fish...hehe - Mith   Happy Holidays - Northernguy   for the awesome posts - mommy1   Thanks - KingFisher   

0 Not allowed!
    haha beleive me working in cameras im very familiar with nikon vs. canon. ive been trying to google negative things about both filters but really it seems theres not too much negative about either...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wecome to the forum - Lady Hobbs   ...Use it wisely. - Drumachine09   Superman of tanks big and bigger - Lady Hobbs   Cheers! - alizee340   for knowing stuff - Nick_Pavlovski   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Dave66   

0 Not allowed!
    Off topic, but was sports editor at daily newspapers for 15 years and a Nikon man through and through :) Still have my Nikon F4S and all the long and fast lenses from my newspaper days.

Apple and oranges on canister filters really.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    i shoot nikon as well, but like you said it pretty much comes down to the individual on what filters are "best". and i found the filter im getting.
    its an eheim 2073 proIII series. only 220 and im not going pass that up, hopefully they still have it next Friday.