· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Final media adjustments

0 Not allowed!
    My order of extra bio-max arrived, and I have now taken out the carbon from my AC50 and have inserted the second mesh bag of bio-max underneath the first one, and placed the nylon bag of seed gravel beneath this new second bag so it now rests on top of the sponge. Hopefully the BB can start growing on the new ceramic beads, which are now being seeded by the older beads above them and by the gravel below them. Additionally, the seed gravel might now help to increase the BB that's on or in the sponge, as well.

If I should have placed the seed gravel between the two mesh bags of bio-max instead of between the new bag and the sponge, please let me know. I figured that since seeding has already started in the beads in the older bag, the seed gravel might better serve its purpose by seeding the new beads from underneath them, and thus create a double-seeding process.

Is this okay? Please advise.

Thanks -- mermaidwannabe
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    it should be fine, as long as the new one is anywhere in the tank or filter you are fine, bacteria colonizes more than rabbits procreate lol, in a couple of weeks time (if that long) you will have a newly well seeded bag of bio. i'm actually doing that as well myself, in preperation of setting up my new 75 gallon, i have its canister filter along with the two Hob's that i have for my 55 gallon. by the time im ready to stock the 75 gallon the canister will be nicely seeded and ready to do its job there. I've done it this way for many of tanks thru the last 5 years. works every time (well that and slowly stocking)

0 Not allowed!
    You're fine.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

0 Not allowed!
    Great, then. I'll just let nature do her thing.

This morning's tests showed great parameters: Ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and the trates were down to 5 ppm. Looks like those floating plants and moss balls are lapping them up.

Happy fish. Another plus: I read that Dojos prefer subdued light. Those floaters are providing an element of shade for them. This morning, one of my Dojos floated down from the plant canopy where he had been resting during the night. So, they seem quite content with their environment.

Looks like things are well under control (knock on wood, but not my head, even if it does ring hollow! LOL!)

-- mermaid
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Im so glad its working out for you Mermaid!!!

Google is your friend. Use it!!!

0 Not allowed!
    I've gotten a lot of great advice here on this forum. All I've really done is follow it. The more I learn, the more it all makes good sense.

-- mermaid