· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Firemouths!

1. Default Firemouths!

0 Not allowed!
    Hey I'm gonna get some firemouth's soon so I thought it would be cool to get a general discussion going about them. Everyones experience with them and any other knowledge you have about them etc...

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    great species,some can be nasty,but most are mellow.I have one in with some larger livebearers and all is well.Do not feed blood worms to firemouth cichlids as they are prone to illnesses resulting from this.Mexican tetras get along good in the same aquaria.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I fell victim to poor advice in my first tank many years ago. I had some larger community fish (assorted grown danios and tetras) and wanted to add something new, so the "helpful" guy at the chain pet store told me I should pick out something (ANYTHING) from the "semi-aggressive" section, semi-aggressive meaning that it would be able to hold its own against the larger fish in the tank (remember, these were merely danios and tetras).

Embarrassing to admit, I picked out the cute fish called a "cichlid" with that pretty orange throat.

The Firemouth hid in the fake plants for months until he grew larger, which is when he emerged from hiding and ate every last fish in that tank.

Oops.

I know better now - and would love to try the Firemouths again. They are very cool fish, in the right environment and with the right tankmates!!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Have you ever tried Thorichthys ellioti,or aureum?They are very much like a firemouth,but size and disposition differences.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by skullduggery1
    great species,some can be nasty,but most are mellow.I have one in with some larger livebearers and all is well.Do not feed blood worms to firemouth cichlids as they are prone to illnesses resulting from this.Mexican tetras get along good in the same aquaria.
    Wow so glad you said something about the bloodworms cause I was probably gonna feed em that! Thanks!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That's horrible, cascade! Ya most of those chain pet store fish really don't know all that much but they pretend that they do and end up giving horrible advice

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh ya speaking of!!! Last time I went to a certain chain pet store ( ends with a co ) haha they had firemouth convict and African cichlids all in one tank! Not cool!

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe I put a different thread up about this. Let's continue about firemouths!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    They get 6 inches maybe slightly larger,males are larger with longer fins.water temps 76 -81 degrees.keep a group of six then pairs will form intermittently.feed small crustaceans and high fiber dry foods.They are from rivers in the yucatan in mexico and found in guatemala.Sometimes even in submerged caves.Medium to large barbs,and some larger biosterious tetra species will work with them.Red tailed sharks and some species of catfish also.No three spot gourami's.Kissing and giant gourami's will be okay.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by skullduggery1
    Do not feed blood worms to firemouth cichlids as they are prone to illnesses resulting from this.Mexican tetras get along good in the same aquaria.

Do you have a referance for this info ?

I've been feeding blood worms about 3 times a week to my firemouths for over a year now with no problems at all. I would like to look into this a little more, just to make sure I haven't been getting lucky over the past year.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast