· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default slimy stuff on fake plant

0 Not allowed!
    Ok - here's another one. I put a fake plant in my tank when I initially set it up. It's got rubbery leaves and by the time I did my 1st major water change it had slimy stuff on it that was hard to get off. By last night I decided to get rid of the because there was more on it - it smells like ammonia although my water tests show no ammonia - I also think it's on the tubing attached to my airstone - any thoughts?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    what size tank do you have and what is it stocked with? chances are its nothing more than bacteria growing on it. i have a homemade "spraybar" attached to one of my powerheads and it gets a slimey feeling on it

0 Not allowed!
    It's a 46 gal stocked with 4 fake plants, 1 live plant, gravel and 2 pieces of rock-like scenery - the other things don't have this coating. I'm wondering if I should try and soak it or put it through my dishwasher or get rid of it?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i meant your fish stocking not plants, and dont put it through the dishwasher

0 Not allowed!
    I started the tank with 4 goldfish, then got rid of them after 4 weeks (gave them to someone else). Now I have 6 neon tetras, 2 cory catfish, 2 white clouds, 2 black skirt tetras & 2 zebra danios - the coating was there while the goldfish were in the tank. Maybe I should soak it in something to loosen it?

0 Not allowed!
    First, don't put it through the dishwasher. And by all means, don't use any soap.

You haven't indicated if this slimy stuff has any color to it. It could be algae if it does. If not, it's probably nothing more than a harmless biofilm that forms inside of everyone's aquarium. If your test kits show no ammonia, no nitrite and acceptable levels of nitrate, then you probably have nothing to worry about.

Watch your fish. Are they healthy? Active? Any outward signs of disease or distress? If you fish are okay, and your parameters are fine, then what is happening in your tank is perfectly natural, and you'll probably find this harmless biofilm forming elsewhere, eventually. It often will coat the glass, itself.

I get this biofilm in my tank, too -- my snails sometimes will crawl up the glass and feed off of it. They are natural (inside) glass cleaners.

And no, it doesn't always come off very easily.

-- mermaidwannabe
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    if you really want to you can take them out of the tank and wipe the slime off with a paper towel, but theres a good chance its just going to be back in a few weeks anyways. you never know though it might stay away