· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    Personally, I'd replace the biowheel with an aquaclear 70 or 110, depending on how heavily the tank is stocked. For the money you can't beat the flow rate, and using 2 sponge blocks increases their capacity nicely. Easier to clean than a canister, just rinse out the sponge blocks when you do partial water changes, and with an intake extension you'd have all the mechanical and bio filtration you could want. I run 2 110's on a couple of 75 gallon tanks and a 70 on my 38. The 38 also has an air-driven hydrosponge filter to help pick up debris, but most folks don't have between 50-100 BN pleco's growing out (and a few stray endler's) in that size tank to clean up after weekly. I also use the replacement sponges for penguin reverse-flow powerheads as intake covers on all my filters and on most of the powerheads (in quickfilter housings) to collect even more debris and keep the Najas/hornwort/duckweed from clogging the intakes.
    Canister filters are great if you don't have space for an hob filter, and the larger media capacity allows more time between cleanings. The drawback is that it's more difficult to tell when the flow rate drops because they are in need of cleaning.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I read the first couple of posts then skipped to the end, so I don't know where you are on this...

I got an Ecco second hand with a tank. It's rubbish. Eheim are a brilliant brand, and are constantly keeping to the top of their game. The Ecco is an old filter. The Ecco Pro is far better and comes recommended by many.

I ran the Ecco as I couldn't afford to buy a new one, but the pump gave up two days before I was due to go on holiday, about 6 months after getting it. I think it did that just to add injury to insult lol.

0 Not allowed!
    Ahhhhh.....

Disregard my post. Its an Ecco pro I was on about lol
    Used to try and keep track of my fish here.....

Ran out of room and time!!!

Instead I'll tell you the best piece of fishkeeping equipment ever....... Algae Scrubber :)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vip3r
    Guess I should of made this clear...the 40G already has a Bio-wheel 350. I am looking for an additional filter for the tank.
    If you don't have one already, purchase one of the tube extensions and a mid level intake. The extension(s) will allow you to put the main intake just above the gravel. The mid level intake will allow you to pull some water from the middle of the tank as well as the bottom. If your gravel is large enough, putting the intake in the gravel a bit really pulls in the crud.

I like the fill your own media baskets too. A coarser floss or filter sponge in there will trap the big stuff and pass less crud on to the finer floss in the next cartridge.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Time-Out
    I read the first couple of posts then skipped to the end, so I don't know where you are on this...

I got an Ecco second hand with a tank. It's rubbish. Eheim are a brilliant brand, and are constantly keeping to the top of their game. The Ecco is an old filter. The Ecco Pro is far better and comes recommended by many.

I ran the Ecco as I couldn't afford to buy a new one, but the pump gave up two days before I was due to go on holiday, about 6 months after getting it. I think it did that just to add injury to insult lol.
    Thanks for the input. I guess I won't go with the ECCO. I've never used a canister filter and don't want to risk spending a ton of money just to have problems arise.

Toddnbecka, I do have a couple of AC 70s in storage. The tank only has two BNs in it right now, but I do plan to begin stocking it within the next few weeks. I think what I will do is switch over to an AC 70 and then later on down the road once the tank is fully stocked I will add on a small canister.

Thanks again for all the help everyone!

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    My 40 gallon tank currently houses my young Carapo knife fish, a couple dozen 2-3" cichlids, and a few 2" BN pleco's. Eheim 2215 and an air-driven hydrosponge filter, and a bit of Najas that the cichlids haven't eaten yet.
    I have a 38 gallon tank with an AC 70 and an air-driven hydrosponge filter. That tank is half filled with hornwort and java moss, and duckweed on the surface that gets thinned out regularly. It currently houses several dozen 2" fire red BN, 50+ 1" oddball Ancistrus fry, a handful of L-10a red lizard whiptails, and a half dozen blonde endler's that will likely be breeding soon. Last week I moved out a dozen of the red BN.
    My 30L houses 2 adult pairs of red BN with at least one and likely two recent broods of fry, 6 L-333's, and waaay too many endler's. That tank is crowded with Najas indica and duckweed, and filtration is an eheim 2026 canister filter and an air-driven sponge filter. I leave the BN fry in the tank with the parents until they reach at least 1", and have had several hundred of them growing out in there at the same time more than once.
    I don't think you need to worry about adding a second filter to your 40, just put a second sponge block in the AC 70 and do regular water changes to keep the nitrates down.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks.