· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default changing media in filter

0 Not allowed!
    I did a major water change 2 weeks ago and cleaned out my filter (it's a brand new Fluval 305)). It says to not change all the media at one time so I changed 2 out of the 3 bags of charcoal - the bio filter I wait 2 more mos. When do I change the 3rd bag of charcoal and how much of the biological filter do I change when it's time. I know the changes should be gradual but will I be changing something every week?

0 Not allowed!
    There are several schools of thought on this but I will give my opinion that charcoal is unnecessary in a healthy tank. Media need not ever be changed out. I have canister filters that over 5+ years have never had the media changed. I use prefilters on all of my filters and so never have to mess with them.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here is the good news: you don't need to use those proprietal premade filter pads, bags or whatever! You also don't need to use carbon unless you need to remove medications from the tank. :)

I don't know that filter, but there are MANY cheaper options for you. Eg. You could cut a bunch of those flat/green dish chlorinated to shape and fill your filter with those. Then just rinse them in declorinated water when you do your cleaning.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    80 Gallon: Native Temperate Reef

5 Gallon Native Temperate Invert tank

20 Gallon Planted: Cherry Barbs, Common Pleco, Floating frog, Fire Bellied Newt

10 Gallon Planted: Apple Snails/Cherry Barb Breeder.... fingers crossed

Awards Showcase

Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa 
    The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime 
    Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog Cheers - Cliff 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    ...I rinse everything out every time I do a water change/maintenance. but I use HOBs

I don't know if you have sponge type filter in that Fluval...but I change my sponges ~2x a year. I do use charcoal...I change that every 6-8 weeks. I haven't yet ever changed the ceramic media...

So as GM noted...it depends on your set-up to some extent. But do keep a close eye on everything so you can keep on top of it all.
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

0 Not allowed!
    The most important issue to consider here is water parameters. As Rue mentions, knowing the parameters in your tank will ultimately save an enormous number of headaches!
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gm72
    There are several schools of thought on this but I will give my opinion that charcoal is unnecessary in a healthy tank. Media need not ever be changed out. I have canister filters that over 5+ years have never had the media changed. I use prefilters on all of my filters and so never have to mess with them.
    I thought this should be quoted and reposted.Nuff said.

Default please explain parameters

0 Not allowed!
    thank you everyone for your responses - what a good education. What do you mean by "tank parameters". I do have sponges in my filter - I just rinsed them in dechlorinated water because after a month they were pretty dirty. So is it better to just keep everything as is right now in my filter and just keep the sponges clean? How does one know when the biological media needs to be replace?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    parameters are ammonia,nitrate,nitrite,ph and temp readings.

0 Not allowed!
    Most of us only use charcoal to remove medications. It's only effective for 2-4 weeks unless changed all the time.

I cram my filter baskets with pillow stuffing and put the bio-max in the top baskets. I change the floss about once a month and rinse the sponges out in dechlorinatored water every couple of months.

0 Not allowed!
    My understanding is you don't ever need to change the bio-media unless it becomes contaminated. Just how that would happen, I don't know. If something toxic killed the beneficial bacteria, then that would be contamination, to my view.

I've read where you're supposed to change the bio-media (in my hob, at least) every three or four months, and then only 50% of it at a time. But knowing what I've since learned here, I don't see why it should be changed at all, so long as it remains healthy.

Any clarifications or caveats regarding this?

-- mermaidwannabe
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.