· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ippielb
    Oh boy, well that might convince me to hold onto them a little longer, might want to try and give it a go to try and get them to breed. How would one convince them to breed? Tonight i put a couple shields over the top of the tank to darken it a bit so that they didnt have such an intense light. Would that help?
    Sometimes a big water change will trigger a breeding response. I used to get my Black Rhom to lay eggs by doing this.

It could also be aggression, so keep an eye on them.
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:
    20" Tropical Gar, 18" Florida Gar, 20" Longnose Gar,
    17" Ornate Bichir, 25" Silver Arowana, 16" Bowfin, 15" Giant Gourami

16" Male Dovii

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I will try the large water change. Maybe that'll give them a little incentive. I doubt that it will be aggression to be honest, they never would do anything all the time when i would spy on them. This was the first time that it happened, and i think i spooked them, because when they were doing that, i moved to try and get a camera, and then they stopped. And haven't done it since.

3. Thumbs down

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Demjor19
    Could very possibly be breeding behavior. In good conditions RPB's will breed like cichlids...

I don't think so.... Cichlids will breed pretty easily in a home aquarium. RBP need exact temperature and light.. Oh, and rain... you will need to make it rain in your tank... No big deal right...? Not like cichlids at all... sorry...
    100g Reef

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rageybug
    I don't think so.... Cichlids will breed pretty easily in a home aquarium. RBP need exact temperature and light.. Oh, and rain... you will need to make it rain in your tank... No big deal right...? Not like cichlids at all... sorry...
    Not true at all...I have a friend who's RBP's breed about once a month. The large water change (slightly cooler than the tank temp) is our way of simulating rainfall. I also got my old 14" Black Rhomb to lay eggs twice by doing this. Experience is worth more than it's weight in gold.
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:

16" Male Dovii

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Do you have any photos? I always thought it would be nice to have a tank of those.
    Tracy

220 Gal. planted Discus tank
    75 Gal. Saltwater Reef

50 Gal. tall Angelfish tank
    40 Gal. Breeder live plants

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dawrtw
    Do you have any photos? I always thought it would be nice to have a tank of those.
    My Rhom was a single specimen tank and I have no pics of my friends RBP tank.
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:

16" Male Dovii

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I sold my piranha's well, more like gave them away with the tank, just wanted them to have a good home. Sorry can't get any more pictures.

8. Default We had a successful breeding before they ate each other. :( i saved one fry and it

0 Not allowed!
    lived about 3 months.the eggs were orange and id find them on the gravel. i never messed with the eggs, though. caught the fry when i saw him/her swimming. Sadly i lost the baby to the filter. :(

With my experience of pirahna, even if they are a breeder pair they will eventually eat each other. watch them and good luck!

9. Default piranha breeding

0 Not allowed!
    mine have had all the signs, digging about in the stones, went black, i put some plants in there but they stopped doin it now. will they start again , should i do another water change

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Most likely you just stressed them out from changing the tank. I would let them get accustomed to the new plant and most likely they will begin the behavior again. Make sure they have enough room to perform the courtship.