· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default The latest with my AC50 ...

0 Not allowed!
    It has been on the tank for two weeks, now. As I posted before, in the freshwater forum, I yanked out the basket after the first week and cleaned the media, primarily the foam sponge. Didn't want to wash off too much BB from the bio-max, so just doused it in aquarium water and then left it alone. Only rinsed debris off carbon pack.

That first time, that sponge was unbelievably filthy! It was black!

Between then and the second cleaning I did today, I have done several water changes and vacuumed the gravel once. I noticed when I vacummed the gravel there wasn't nearly the amount of debri trapped in it as previously, when I still had the UGF in. I had cleaned under that filter plate the week prior to installing the AC50 and removing the UGF.

This time, I noticed the sponge was darkening, so I rinsed it again, and while it was dirty, it wasn't nearly as filthy as the first time. The housing of that filter is a transparent but smokey-tinted plastic, and I think that makes everything inside it look darker than it is.

So now it looks like I don't need to rinse that sponge so often. I'll probably be able to go a couple of weeks at least between rinsings.

I put it all back together and it's working just fine, like before.

Now, here's my dilemma -- I rinsed the sponge again because my nitrates were climbing again, despite doing the 35% water change a couple of days ago. My ammonia and nitrite are zero.

Looks like I'll need to start consistently doing 50% water changes twice a week and vacuuming the gravel with each one, even though there isn't so much debri in it, anymore.

I have lots of floating plants, now, plus those gorgeous dark green moss balls on the substrate. I took out the anacharis and put it in my goldfish tubs in the shop, to give my goldies something to munch on between feedings. Remaining in my tank is a lot of hornwort, water sprite, java moss and the aforementioned moss balls. If the person I ordered floating Riccia from ever gets around to shipping it, I'll be adding that, as well. Neither of my LFSs carry the Riccia, and the folks at the one place said they've never heard of it.

Should I still be putting Stability into the filter after this latest cleaning, or have I already used enough of that (having completed the instructed 7-day regimen)?

Soon to come -- a second bag of Bio-Max that will be replacing the carbon.

-- mermaidwannabe
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Water changes alone reduce nitrates.The sponge only needs rinsed when water flow is greatlly reduced, causing by pass.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thats when I change my AC70, is when the water is bipassing and going where its not supposed to. I rinse it out in tank water every two weeks or so by squeezing it and banging the debris out. I have a lot of plants in my tank too...

Google is your friend. Use it!!!