· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default First time SW tank and need ID on some critters!

0 Not allowed!
    Just started up a little SW tank and dropped in my live rocks about a week ago... slowly been finding lots of little creatures that I have no clue what they are... can anyone help me ID them so I can research them?

1) What I now believe to be either a pistol or mantis shrimp.. head a couple clicks coming from the tank that sounded like static electricity does when it snaps.

2) some kind of vegetation.. under direct blue light it is glowing kinda orange

3) Crab that I trapped... the bottle is a brown yeast bottle so the color of the shell is not what it should be... note the black poofy mass on its chest... not sure if that helps to ID it.

31 Gallon Hagen Waterhome with 2 x 20W T8 6700K Life Glo tubes, Fluval 205 canister filter, Aquaclear 200W and Marineland Stealth 150W heaters, Hydor Hydrokable 50W substrate heating cable with Hydrostat thermostat, Hydor Ario 2 Blue aeration night light. Compressed CO2. Very Heavily Planted.

58 Gallon Hagen Light-Glo/Waterhome with 2x40W T8, 2x Fluval 404/405 canisters filters, Ebo-Jager 250W Heater, Marineland Stealth Pro 300W heater. Compressed CO2. Moderately planted.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    4) Apstatia or some other little feeder?

5) little black pod thingy... it has since moved so I know it is alive

6) another filter feeder of some sort?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide!
    31 Gallon Hagen Waterhome with 2 x 20W T8 6700K Life Glo tubes, Fluval 205 canister filter, Aquaclear 200W and Marineland Stealth 150W heaters, Hydor Hydrokable 50W substrate heating cable with Hydrostat thermostat, Hydor Ario 2 Blue aeration night light. Compressed CO2. Very Heavily Planted.

58 Gallon Hagen Light-Glo/Waterhome with 2x40W T8, 2x Fluval 404/405 canisters filters, Ebo-Jager 250W Heater, Marineland Stealth Pro 300W heater. Compressed CO2. Moderately planted.

0 Not allowed!
    Pic 3 is what I believe is an Acro crab. They are not desirable at all. Removal was a good idea.

Pic 4 looks very much like an Aptasia

Pic 6 is just a Feather Duster of some kind.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

0 Not allowed!
    Pic #2: I've seen hitch-hiking light-deprived soft corals greatly resemble the objects in this photo.

Pic #5: Looks like some type of chiton (harmless algae-vore).

Pic #6: Keep an eye on this one. Might be a harmless filter feeder, but it also looks like a type of hydroid (filter-feeding polyps that can spread).
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

http://www.rowelab.com/AquaControlle...9&scope=last24

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the IDs...
    Good to know what some of these things are... especially the crab and chiton.

Do the soft corals require really good lighting?

And are hydroid polyps necessary a bad thing? Havent seen any internet literature stating one way or another yet.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Some more things coming out of the rock work that I could use IDs on

7) Unidentified growth which is slowly getting longer.

8) Looking down into my Edge tank I saw these growing... looks good but no idea what it might be

9) this appears to be a red coraline algae but I havent tried to scratch it yet to confirm.. just wanted to make sure its not the bad red slime

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    10) some clammy looking thing sticking outta my rock. The picture is out of focus as I had to shoot at an angle

11) Hair algae or a soft coral?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    12) wormy looking dude with a head that moves when light shines on it.

13) further to my #1 critter posted above - I still havent been able to get a good view of this guy! I have tried luring it out further but its very timid.
    I still think its a pistol shrimp but I really have no clue... anyone able to confirm based on these pics?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    13) continued

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    13) continued

Thanks for any assistance you can provide!