· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New plants!

1. Default New plants!

0 Not allowed!
    I have found that living on a tight budget does not mean you can't have a planted tank, albeit with fake, silk plants. My source? Dollar Tree! I found some posable arrangements in single strands and for a dollar each. For what I might have spent on two fake plants at my LFS, I now have a veritable forest in my tank, and my fish seem much happier. I also found a small stackable basket with small holes in the sides that, when turned upside down, makes a decent cave for my finned friends. And there are even a few flowers to add some color. I have attached a picture for your viewing pleasure.

Since the picture was taken, a good friend gave me a $25 PetsMart gift card, so I now have a few more residents and a background.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    April 16, 2007 - Rest in peace, fallen Hokies. You will not be forgotten.
    ---
    "Fish are friends, not food." - Bruce
    ---
    55g- Neon Tetras x5, Cardinal Tetras x3, Penguin Tetras x7, Black Neon Tetras x5, Congo Tetras x4, Emperor Tetras x3, Siamese Algae Eaters x2, 4" Pleco, Head and Tail Light Tetra (still swimming after 2.5 years), Erik, the Red-orange male Betta, Mystery Snail

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hey, you even have nonstop flowering plants! It looks good.

0 Not allowed!
    Are you certain the silk plants you buy at Dollar Tree are aquarium safe? That is, do they have wires in them that might rust or emit toxic elements? What about the dyes? From what I've seen at these Dollar Tree stores, those artificial plants are meant to be displayed in vases or perhaps "planted" outdoors in beds, but certainly aren't made to be placed into aquariums.

If you want fake aquarium plants, you need to get them at an aquarium store or in the aquarium department of PetSmart, etc. Those are made to safely stay inside of fish tanks.

Just a warning ...

-- mermaidwannabe
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

Awards Showcase

Good luck with the community tank!  You WILL post pics when it's up and running!  Welcome to AC BTW - Mith for ur tank ! welcome to AC ! - Neon im not a good hug'er - rookie Grats on the fry! - Northernguy To go with your beer!  Thanks for the help! - dragoonwoman 
    Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii Happy Holidays - Northernguy Hey!  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!! - Mith Welcome to AC. - Brookfish For your pancake bunny - Cliff 
    aww thanks LOL  (Mith welling up with tears) LOL - Mith For all your help and patience!!!!! - fish00053 That was the greatist thing ever - Pele A new cory for your 10 gallon - Cliff For the  help - Rue 
    Dude that's the funniest signature I've seen on this site. Have a beer. - harpua2002 A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228 For getting too close to pleco's breeding rabbits. - gadget228 Awesome sig, make me chuckle :) - FinalJenemba Merry Xmas! Hope U have a good one! Thanks for all the DIY help! :) - Mrs.JayMay23 

0 Not allowed!
    +1 on mermaids comment. If it works for you, awesome, but its a risk I personally wouldn't take.

Just keep an eye on the fish and if any of them start acting quirky or ill, hanging out at the top or sitting on the bottom, or if the water starts to get discolored, remove the plants, do a huge water change, pop some charcoal into the filter and cross your fingers.

Also- does that little sign in your tank say "Beware of Danger?"
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    I agree...be careful. A lot the very inexpensive stuff isn't marketed with safety in mind. If it's not meant to go in water who knows what can leach out of it? Even the dry stuff might not be safe for kids or cats (to chew on...stuff like that)...
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I totally agree with Mermaid. You have to think about what things are made of before putting them in. They are very pretty in there, but may cause your fishies some harm...

Google is your friend. Use it!!!

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Two months later, and they are doing well. No ill affects on my fish friends, and they seem to enjoy swimming around them and hiding in them. As I type, I have a group of neons chasing each other around and through one of the plants. My betta has even used a couple of leaves to rest on when he's tired.
    My roommates have mentioned how natural the fake plants look, so, hopefully, when I add some rocks to the tank, that will only help things. Not sure how natural blue gravel for the bottom is though...

And, for the record, I did soak these plants for a few days to ensure I leeched out any nasty chemicals.

@Scrup: Yes, that sign does indeed say "Beware of Danger."
    April 16, 2007 - Rest in peace, fallen Hokies. You will not be forgotten.
    ---
    "Fish are friends, not food." - Bruce
    ---
    55g- Neon Tetras x5, Cardinal Tetras x3, Penguin Tetras x7, Black Neon Tetras x5, Congo Tetras x4, Emperor Tetras x3, Siamese Algae Eaters x2, 4" Pleco, Head and Tail Light Tetra (still swimming after 2.5 years), Erik, the Red-orange male Betta, Mystery Snail

9. Default Alternative

0 Not allowed!
    For everyone posting warnings about non-aquarium artificial plants can someone give a source for Realistic - SA Cichlid - plants. I am not on the dollar tree budget thankfully.

0 Not allowed!
    Anything you would buy that is designed for an aquarium would be just fine for any fish.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.