Hi, I am looking for some guidance with my JD. It is a 5 year old 8" fish now. I have had him since he was an inch or so. He (I really dont know the sex but, will refer to it as He) has stopped eating. This all started about 3-4 weeks ago. It started with him clamped fins in the corner not moving with a white sheen over him. So, let me give yall some history...

Late november (27th ish) - set up 125g, fluval fx5(biomedia only) and twin 250w heaters. I ran the tank for a few days with a few cups of substrate from his tank hanging in a stocking in front of the intake. Put 20 feeders in a few days later.

Early December (6th ish) - transferred JD from 29g to new 125 seeing that 80% of the feeders lived

Dec 20 ish - fins clamped, white sheen, stopped eating - did 25% H2O change and added carbon and pre filter media to filter. Next day he was up and about and ate. Couple days later, he is still up and about but will not eat.

Dec 28 ish - added 8 plants to aquarium, some type of sea weed looking plant, some swords and curly grass (sorry for the terrible descriptions, I got them from PetSmart) Plants are planed in small terra cotta pots and sunk in the sand substrate.

Jan 3 - 25% water and reposition exhaust nozzles to agitate waters surface in attempts to aerate the water. I had a feeling that he might nit have enough oxygen since this canister filter is a closed loop system.

He is up and swimming around, looks ok but will not eat. He looks as though he is struggling to breathe? I dont remember him sucking water through his gills so noticeably

water parms are good, ph 8.2, ammonia 0, no2 0, no3 10ish. My no3 was at 20 prior to the carbon, all other pars the same.

I am stumped!! What gives? I have never seen this fish not eat or attack anything that moves by.

Is my water flow through the tank too much? Does anyone think that pantyhose used to hold the carbon a bad idea? Sand substrate bothering him?
Plants (I know he will tear them up but I like plants)? I dont have a lot of light two 24"ers, one 9800k one 3500k.

I dont want to see my JD belly up :(

Loring in Louisiana