· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Help my discus is sick

0 Not allowed!
    P1000144 (2).JPGOne of my larger discus fell ill a few days ago, i noticed him hiding and not eating, he was tucked behind the heater leaning against it. This wasn't good so i began treatment with eSHa discus treatment, moved the heater behind a mesh. Having done this he's now feeding and perked up a bit but has a rather horrible looking sore on its side from the heater. It started just as a white mark but has now gone fluffy and flaky his gills on one side are also fury. Any recommendations? should i clean the wound, rub off the fluff? Please help he's one of a breeding pair i don't want to lose :(P1000144.JPG
    Last edited by CKzHere; 01-03-2011 at 05:53 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199   Merry xmas! - ScottishFish   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Happy New Year - mommy1   Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    sounds like he's getting a fungus infection after burning himself on the heater. did you read the discus stickies at the top of this section? there may be some info on treatments. I would only half-dose any meds and keep the water pristine, but I am no discus expert. melafix/pimafix would be the meds I would use (not sure how well they work for discus, but are good all-natural medications); keep in mind they hamper the dissolved oxygen and good aeration is needed when using these meds.

best of luck with your sick discus. it's a nice big brown.
    your friendly neighbourhood arowanaman!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to the holidays! - Slaphppy7   Happy holidays! - rebecca_finny   Merry Christmas (Santa Loves Pie) ;-) - Taurus   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Good to see you here again... - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I wish I had medical advice but I am not comfortable giving advice when i dont have great answers. I just wanted to check in and see how your discus was.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - kaianuanu   No Message - kaianuanu   No Message - kaianuanu   No Message - kaianuanu   No Message - kaianuanu   

0 Not allowed!
    you can try melaleuca AKA teatree oil. The same stuff is in melafix. And it makes your tank smell really good!
    v^-Kai-^v

"Opportunities multiply as they are seized"
    -Sun Tzu

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default sick discus

0 Not allowed!
    Hi
    Not sure if I'm too late to help ,but I have owned Discus for many years and have seen all types of illness etc. I have bred Discus as well.

It does seem that it is a heater burn, but is surprising as you would think the fish would realise what is happening and stay away from the heater.

However, with Discus my rule has always been to not remove them from the tank at all and to treat them where they are. They absolutley hate being moved.

I agree with a previous reply that Melafix or similar be used. First do a 50% water change and then treat for seven days. You will need to be patient. If it is not improving much by 7 days then 50% water change and treat again.

What other fish are in your tank?

Hope this helps!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Looks very much like a heater burn one of my angels had a few years ago. It was also white like that but not infected. It appeared as if only the top layer of skin had been removed. It took him a long time to fill that area in again but finally it did and eventually even his stripes come back on the same spot. It was about 6 months to heal over, tho. I was afraid medications would contribute to the burn so used it very sparingly and finally not at all but just kept his water cleaner than normal. I would stick with the melafix as others have suggested.