· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Unhappy Black moor with swim bladder disease...

0 Not allowed!
    Hello,

I have an approximately 1.5 year old black moor goldfish as well. He is in a 50 gallon tank with one lionhead goldfish, one ryukin, one shubunkin, and three plain old goldfish. I know it sounds like alot in one tank but I keep the water very clean and the goldfish are not too big for the tank yet. As they grow, I upgrade to larger tanks, so don't worry about them being overcrowded. Anyways, over the past month or so, my black moor has been stuck floating at the top of the tank. First he was just upright but stuck at the top, then for a few days he was stuck upside down, and now he has been stuck on one side or the other for the past few weeks. Thinking it was some problem with his swim bladder, I tried fasting him and then feeding shelled cooked peas, adding aquarium salt, and doing more frequent water changes, but nothing seemed to help. I brought my water in to be tested at the pet store since I don't have a test kit and they told me that everything was in the normal range except the ph which they said was very low. When I asked about my black moor, they told me to try treating the tank with triple sulfa because they thought he had a bacterial infection. As I don't have a hospital tank, I treated the entire 50 gallon tank twice but so far I haven't seen any improvement. I decided that since he wasn't responding to the bacterial medication, that probably wasn't the problem and I replaced the carbon in the filters. That was a few days ago. This morning when I woke up, he was still floating, but now a different fish in the tank appears to have popeye. She is just one of the regular goldies but both her eyes (more the left than the right) are beginning to bulge. I have never had any fish with popeye before so I am really not sure what to do. I read online that you can treat it with tetracycline (which I had some of) so I dosed the tank with some of that and removed the carbon again. So that is where I am at as of now. I am really at a loss of what else to do and I desperately need help. The black moor, is developing a white spot the side that sticks out of the water while he floats (I think it is because its drying out). I read that you can put vaseline on the part of the fish that is out of the water to prevent this, and I have tried to do so, but I cannot get the vaseline to actually stick to him since he is slippery. Please please help. I don't know what else to try and I can't take sitting here watching my fish suffer. THANK YOU.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Feed a shelled cooked pea to your gold fish. That should help.

3. Question

0 Not allowed!
    I already tried the shelled cooked peas, and they didn't work. Thanks though.