· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Nice nice definitely gonna follow this one... however I gotta ask GB how come no sump? Room issue or you just don't think it's necessary or what?
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

0 Not allowed!
    It's not a necessity. As I explained earlier in the thread, hiding the equipment isn't that big of a deal, the heater isn't hard to hide and the skimmer is a HOB. As for extra water volume, I'll have more in my 75 then most do in they smaller reefs that have sumps, so there's no real necessity there.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

0 Not allowed!
    I see well should be a pretty cool build haha
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

0 Not allowed!
    ok, so a slight delay. My stand was not available from the manufacturer, so it was going to be back-ordered. Was going to go with the black stand, but decided to go with the Oak one instead. It's cheaper, and I can have it here by next Thursday. So, now my lights will be here in Monday (hopefully) and my stand will be here next Thursday, a little backwards. LOL I may end up painting the stand black anyway. This tanks is going to be the centerpiece in our livingroom so we want it to look right. We have a nice deep red accent wall (you may have seen it in the pics of my 125) and the black will look really nice against it. It also will match the planned picture frames that will be going on the wall above the tank. Even with painting the stand, the price will still be cheaper then getting it already painted from the factory.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

0 Not allowed!
    What brand reflectors and ballast did you go with?

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump

0 Not allowed!
    Again, I didn't go popular. lol (what else would you expect from me lol) I actually went with an Odyssea fixture. I have had nothing but success with them, and I have a read a lot of good reviews from actually owners of these fixtures. Odyssea is kind of like Kia, when they first arrived on the North American market, their product was not good, and not up to the standards of the North American market, but since then they have improved greatly. Ironically, if you look closely at them, they bear a strong resemblance to Coralife fixtures. I had on of their 4x65w PC fixtures one time, and when I got my 4x96w Coralife fixture, they were identical except for the bulbs.

Honestly, I ignore 99% of the nay sayers about these fixtures, but 99% of them have never owned them, and are just spewing regurgitated, outdated "facts" about them. Yes, in the past they had some problems, but those have been fixed, you get just as many problems with more expensive fixtures now as you do with these. Too many people figure that you can't get a decent fixture for so little money. They assume that anything that inexpensive can't be any good. Are they the best fixture on the market? No, far from it, but that doesn't make them a bad one either. Every fixture I have ever purchased in this hobby, with one exception, has been an Odyssea fixture, and I have yet to come up with a single complaint about them. If it works, why change? lol

ok, I'm off my soapbox.

0 Not allowed!
    Good luck with your reef Bradley
    I do sumps primarily because the more water in the system the better. Yes, I hide equipment in them, yes they are reverse daylight refugia, etc, etc., but the upshot is, more water in a system is why I take the trouble to install and plumb sumps. Would I do a reef without one? If it was all beginner softies, maybe, with a smaller tank. Hard corals and clams I'll do a sump every time.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

0 Not allowed!
    I see what your saying, lol. I'm in the same boat when it comes to coralife super skimmers and instant ocean salt. I've been using both since I started the hobby and love them, but everyone else seems to hate them.

I think 2x250 watt metal halide is perfect with a 75 gallon. Just the right amount of light. We have the same amount of light in our 75 (minus the t-5 actinic you have) Everything, including sps and clams seem to be pretty happy no matter where we put them

One other question, what are you doing for flow, several smaller powerheads or a few big ones?

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump

0 Not allowed!
    I have a pair of Koralia 3's, but with the rock setup I'm planning on, I'm going to have to add a Koralia to blow behind it.

Dave, I have stony corals and a Crocea in my 37gal now with no sump. ;) Did nothing but SPS in my 46gal with great success as well. I definitely agree with the added ease of stability with the larger water volume, but stability is also achievable with the volume I will have.

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, so my flow has changed slightly. :) I managed to pick up a pair of Koralia 4's on a local forum for $45 shipped. :) So flow will be the pair of Koralia 4s in and a single Koralia 3. That should really get the water moving in there. :) With my rock setup I have planned, the Koralia 4's will be used to direct the flow in the main part of the tank while the Koralia 3 will be aimed behind the rock to keep things from settling back there.