· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default 75gal Sumpless Reef

0 Not allowed!
    So it finally came time to create a little more space in my house. The 125gal has been sold. In its place will be a 75gal reef. Right now the plan is for it to be somewhat mixed, but with a strong emphasis on SPS corals.
    Lighting will be a Halide/T5 combo fixture. Lighting will start at 9am with 108w of Actinic T5 light, then at noon the 2x250w 15,000k halides will come on and the actinics will go off. At 6pm the actinics come back on and the halides go off and then at 9pm the actinics go off and the moonlights come on until 9am. Because this will be a system dominated by SPS, the fish stocking will be kept low.

I'll try to keep up with this with pictures as things progress. As of right now, I have the tank. lol Stand coming on Thursday and the lighting the following week. Once I have the tank on the stand, I start the process of filling it with RO/DI and mixing the salt in. Sand will be added after the SW is mixed. Shouldn't be much of a problem with cloudiness due to the sand being packaged wet. Going with CaribSea's Ocean Direct Original Grade sand. I love the natural look of that sand.

Stay tuned for progress.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

0 Not allowed!
    Are you doing HOB skimmers and/or a HOB fuge? Sounds like a good lighting setup...cant wait to see pics.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, I will be waiting for progress reports too! One of the reasons my reef tank isn't larger is becuase I figured I'd need a sump and all the plumbing that goes with it. I'd love to go bigger if I could keep it low tech like my 50gal...can't wait to read how yours progresses!

good luck ILMGB!
    20gal long planted community

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHRKiller
    Are you doing HOB skimmers and/or a HOB fuge? Sounds like a good lighting setup...cant wait to see pics.
    Yes to the skimmer and no to the fuge. I've never used a fuge and I personally find their benefit does not justify the cost to set one up. I get plenty of nitrate reduction from my live rock and sand bed so it really isn't necessary. As for phosphate use, I have a Crocea clam and I will be adding a Maxima and either a Derasa or a Squamosa and that will take up all the phosphate I need taken up. Finally, since I am not planning on a Dragonette or any other fish that requires a healthy pod population there is no need for the extra pod production.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

0 Not allowed!
    How long will you keep this tank? 6 months?
    Just kidding.

If this tank is anywhere as nice as your old one, it will be great :) GL barb.

0 Not allowed!
    Ironically, this isn't the first time I've done a tank without a sump. My 37 has been established and stable for over a year with no sump. In fact, that tank has only had a skimmer on it for the last 6 months. :)

Thanks for the vote of confidence Red. lol Hopefully, this tank will be nicer than anything I've ever owned before.

0 Not allowed!
    Awesome! My 55G only has skimmers as well...no sump and no fuge. Seems uncommon to see reefs these days without a fuge/sump. Best of luck!

Is it your 125G walstad the one you parted ways with?
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thats some set up wow love to see the pics

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, well, here are some pics of my latest additions.

Blue Acropora (possibly a Cluster species, wanting a Staghorn and Bottlebrush species as well)

Pink Pocillopora (yes, I am aware of the tissue necrosis, but that branch can be removed if need be)

Birdsnest (the pic doesn't do it justice)

Montipora digi. (given a local name of Clemson Orange)

Should have my replacement ballast this week so I'll get a FTS when I get it installed. I'll have to move my corals around a bit since they are all on one side of the tank currently. lol

0 Not allowed!
    I'm looking forward you a FTS once you get your ballast replaced

Your Acropora and birdnest look really great.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]