· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Nano Cube 14

Hybrid View

1. Default Nano Cube 14

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone this is my first post on this forum so here I go. For christmas I got a 12 Gallon Nano Cube for a reef tank. So over the past few days I have been researching and working on it nonstop because this is my first saltwater though I have done a huge amount of studying because I was planning one anyway. So I want to make it a reef tank. And I have a few questions but first, the stocking and equipment list (The coral is coming from Live Aquaria in a special nano softie pack).

Fish:
    Yellow-Tail Damselfish
    Black Sailfin Blenny

Invertebrates:
    Dwarf Blue-Leg Hermit Crab
    Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
    3x Turbo Snails
    5x Nassarius Snails
    2x Super Tongan Nassarius Snails

Coral:
    Random Mushroom Coral
    Random Polyp Coral
    Random Soft Coral
    One random coral from one of those categories

Equipment:
    12 Gallon Nano-Cube with modified chambers
    (First Chamber:Sera filter wool, and Purigen)
    (Second Chamber:Stock Carbon, and LR rubble
    (Third Chamber:Maxi-Jet 900 Pump, Heater and Aquatic Life Internal Mini Skimmer 115)
    Hydor Koralia Nano 240 Pump

Supplements(Alot!):
    Kent Essential Elements
    Kent Iron and Manganese
    Kent Liquid Calcium
    Kent Marine-C
    Kent Strontium and Molybdendum
    Kent Iodine
    Kent Superbuffer-dKH

I have test kits for all those as well as for copper,alkalinity,phospate,ammonia,nitrite,nitrate ,ph,and silica

I am planning on using one and only nitrifying bacteria

Now for my questions:
    Some people say I shouldn't use a protein skimmer for such a small tank. What do you think?

I don't know how I am going to be able to get the cords out of the aquarium. Anyone with experience, please help!

Thats all for now!

0 Not allowed!
    If you are doing nothing but soft corals, then a protein skimmer is not an essential. However, if you have it, it won't hurt to run it. The corals you have listed though, will actually use the stuff that a skimmer typically takes out. Many experienced hobbyists who do an all softie tank do not run skimmers.
    I personally wouldn't use the carbon either, you just don't need it.

As for all those supplements, don't bother. Save yourself a lot of trouble and money and skip them. Your corals will get what they need from your regular water changes.

As for getting the cords out, there should be some kind of opening in the back provided by the manufacturer. I personally don't have a Nano Cube, but I have seen them.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok I will get rid of the skimmer, its not like I will be doing anything but softies:). I had a feeling some of those supplements were overdoing it but are there any I should keep, and should I still keep the test kits? Thank you and I will wait for more replies.

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't dispose of any of the supplements just yet, but keep this one thing in mind; never add anything you don't test for. As I mentioned earlier, your regular water changes will take care of all those.

I wouldn't completely ditch the skimmer. Sorry if I made it sound like you shouldn't run it. It is perfectly ok to run it, but you will really need to keep up with your water changes without it. Without it I would want to do changes every 7-10 days.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh I guess I forgot to mention I still have to order the stuff but I do already have a calcium supplement. So I think I will stay away from the skimmer because I have gotten a few other peoples advice too and they say PWCs will do the job much better. Still don't know if I should order the supplements but if it makes a difference I am planning on using Instant Ocean salt. Also, I can't decide between a ocellaris clown or a yellowtail damsel, but am for sure getting the black sailfin blenny.

0 Not allowed!
    I personally would not use Instant Ocean. They may well have fixed their problems, but in the past, they were lacking in some of the essential elements. If you are looking for a good inexpensive salt, you might want to consider the Coralife salt. My LFS reviewed it not too long ago, and found it to be a very very good salt for the price.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok i'll try that salt. But what do you think about the supplements, do you think I should still buy them or use the money for something else? And I still can't decide between a damsel or a ocellaris clown, what do you think?

0 Not allowed!
    Save the money and buy something else. Personally I would go with the Clown. Damsels are pretty, but they are notoriously mean.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok thanks that really helps. I now am ready to buy everything and set it up. But I was wondering if you think in such a small tank that a mantis shrimp would survive.