· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed a golfish :) - Xavier   Here's a Betta that will stay healthy - gabbyguppy   thanks for the betta :D - Cyberra   Expert Elodea Growth Guesser! - Brhino   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - lotus flower   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - lotus flower   Gay and Lesbian Pride - lotus flower   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - lotus flower   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - lotus flower   

Angry Sick Betta at Store: A Moral Dilemma

0 Not allowed!
    Hey, everyone!

So, I was at Petco today looking at aquarium supplies (I'm out of town visiting my family), and I saw two dead fish in one of the tanks with some shrimp feeding on them. What's worse yet is that I saw several sick and dying bettas in their bowls...one of them appeared all but dead, lying somewhat sideways at the very top of his small bowl of water.

Another betta was very sick with fin and tail rot. His bowl said he was a half-moon, but I couldn't tell because of the extent of the tissue damage. If he is, then well half of his fins have rotted away completely.

Here is my dilemma: I don't have any of my aquarium supplies here with me and have limited money. This fish will probably die if I buy it and try to save it. And they're asking $15 for these bettas, which is about three times what I would pay at my LFS. And this betta is so sick, I don't know if it can be saved. But my heart is broken and I am absolutely disgusted by what I saw at the store. I know I will be going back tomorrow to speak with the manager. Can I offer to pay something like $5 to take the betta home and try to save it? I mean, no manager can argue with me that he is a healthy specimen. Then I can buy a small bowl and change/medicate its water every day until he recovers. I will be home on January 8th and can put him in my betta tank when it's cycled in a few weeks. I can buy some Maracyn...I think that'll treat the fin and tail rot.

Or should I just inform the manager that this is unacceptable and not use my limited resources to support a store that doesn't care for their animals?

Either way, this fish's life was nasty, brutish, and short.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Pleco380   you found the pleco! - Brhino   for helping me out thanks - Sirex   for not caring about those in need - KingFisher   Selfishness wrt Japans OBVIOUS humanitarian need - 850R   

0 Not allowed!
    I would go with option one where you take and try to save him. but thats just me.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

0 Not allowed!
    Definitely talk to the manager, but I'm not sure it will do any good. It will depend on how willing he or she is to listen and become informed and educated. And that will depend on the size of the manager's ego and his or her attitude.

As much as you wish you could, you're under no obligation to rescue this store from its own folly. If this Betta is that far gone, it might already be too late. I suggest you save your money to cover the needs of the fish you already have. Since you went there to get aquarium supplies, you obviously need some things for your own tanks.

A tough decision, I know. The best thing we can do for these fish is try to educate, and that only works when folks are willing to learn. If you are successful at getting through to this manager, you might save the lives of many more fish at this store in the future. That's worth a shot.

-- mermaidwannabe
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Next round is on me! :-D - MCHRKiller   Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1   Friends don't let friends drink alone, Cheers - Cliff   After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1   I think this will help after the tree - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    If you buy him they will just replace him with another. The best thing to do would be to talk with the manager on ways they may be able to improve the conditions the bettas are in.
    Quote Originally Posted by i_am_511
    Lighten up its just the internet its not like someone came in your house and punched a baby in the face.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by lotus flower
    Either way, this fish's life was nasty, brutish, and short.
    Don't feel bad. This would describe the lives of basically every fish to ever live. There isn't enough room in this post to write the fraction representing the tiny number of the earth's fish that have landed in a hobbyist (competent or otherwise) aquarium. Besides, there was surely a tank full of feeders that are even more doomed. Why did you pick out bettas? How many bloodworms have suffered and died to feed these creatures?

I know that no one here seems to agree with my view that these animals live and die for our entertainment. And before someone mentions that feeders are ok because that's what they are meant for... I'm pretty sure crickets or gold fish or bloodworms don't care about our motivations. And, if they could choose at all, I think ALL of them would pick to live in one of those little betta cups over getting dropped into the piranha tank. Wouldn't you?

As for telling the manager... couldn't hurt. It can't be good for business to have people come on forums like this and talk about how crappy the conditions in their fish section are. And when people acquire sick, disease riddled fish, these fish they are more likely to die prematurely and we as hobbyist are more likely to loose a fellow or potential hobbyist. And while I don't care about terrible plight of brineshrimp, I do care about promoting this hobby we all love!
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    80 Gallon: Native Temperate Reef

5 Gallon Native Temperate Invert tank

20 Gallon Planted: Cherry Barbs, Common Pleco, Floating frog, Fire Bellied Newt

10 Gallon Planted: Apple Snails/Cherry Barb Breeder.... fingers crossed

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA   Good Morning :-) - Taurus   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Just to let you know I'm thinking about you. Better things will come. - Taurus   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - MCHRKiller   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MCHRKiller   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MCHRKiller   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MCHRKiller   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - MCHRKiller   

0 Not allowed!
    Purchasing the betta, the bowl and the medication will only fuel a business where fish are kept poorly. If you don't like how fish are being kept at a business dont shop there, one person speaking to a manager of a chain shop will do very little. Their practices are encoded onto a video or small training seminar for the "fish pros" they usually employ who neither practice nor care about the hobby. If you would like to own a betta, choose one from a breeder or a quality LFS. Even coming from a beeder they dont cost much more than these chains are charging. Just my dime....
    3x75 gallons|1x55 gallon|2x40 gallons

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

fellow Kentuckian - Algenco   congrats, great pic of the puppies! - Brookfish   Congrats on your award! - Brookfish   Congratulations on your award - Celtic Fins   Congratulations on APOTM - Celtic Fins   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - gabbyguppy   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gabbyguppy   

0 Not allowed!
    Great post MCHRKiller! Your comment applies to all animals.....buy from a good breeder and save yourself some heartache.

I know it's hard to not "save" the fish, but in doing so, you're encouraging poor fish keeping. Retailers will have no motives to do better, if folks are going to buy from them anyway.

This is something I struggle with every time I see the bettas in a cup at our local Wal-Mart. They don't even have a fish section! The poor fish are stuck on a shelf (to die a slow death) right next to the pet foods.

Karen

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino   

0 Not allowed!
    Agree with both of the above. If you buy fish that are poorly kept, you are supporting the business of poorly keeping fish. It's very very simple.

If you think restaurant food should be healthier, would you go into a McDonalds, complain to the manager about how much saturated fat is in a Big Mac, and then order a combo meal to go? I should hope not.

I understand the urge to "save" this particular fish, but you have to understand that if you do give them your money, you are dooming more fish to be treated the same way in the future.
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    125 gallon office tank: Africian cichlids, synodontis catfih
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed a golfish :) - Xavier   Here's a Betta that will stay healthy - gabbyguppy   thanks for the betta :D - Cyberra   Expert Elodea Growth Guesser! - Brhino   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - lotus flower   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - lotus flower   Gay and Lesbian Pride - lotus flower   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - lotus flower   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - lotus flower   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, everyone...

I rechecked my finances and really can't afford to treat the betta anyway...and you are all right that it would just support the bad practices the store is employing and another betta would replace him.

My mother fears I would look like a lunatic if I went in to speak with the store manager, and since this is her town, I'm opting for writing a letter to the corporation's headquaters. I will be polite but explain that I will not be shopping there until they either improve the health and general condition of the fish they are selling or stop selling fish altogether. It looks like that store is phasing out their fish section--many of the tanks were empty. Perhaps they've had complaints before. I used to shop there for dog food, which is quite expensive since I buy organic. Dropping that bit of information couldn't hurt, either.

I'll let you know if I hear back from headquarters.

Thank you for the good advice, everyone!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Cheers - Cliff   Merry Christmas! - Plecos   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue   Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue   

0 Not allowed!
    As much as I applaud your wanting to help out...NEVER buy a sick animal from someone - a pet store or a back-yard breeder, etc.

If they can make money selling sick animals...they will continue to sell ill animals, or ill-bred animals, etc.

If they can't sell - they will improve their care policies...or stop selling livestock...both are great options.
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 3 Fancies, 2 Comets
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed