· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this ok?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your first! - Algenco   You need some fish...hehe - Mith   Happy Holidays - Northernguy   for the awesome posts - mommy1   Thanks - KingFisher   

0 Not allowed!
    after reading many of your threads i have a few things to comment about this.

why do you keep buying or planning for more animals when you cant properly take care of the ones you have?
    why will you spend money on stuff for a new setup but not a proper stand for your tank which may break any day?
    why do you ask advice here and only listen to the bits and pieces that suit your situation?
    why dont you take responsibility for housing pets improperly and say that they seems happy?
    and, seriously, why dont you take the advice given in all the threads you start here?

back to the cocohusk on gravel. i would not reccomend gravel or ever use gravel in any of my amphibian tanks as the risk of impaction with gravel is very high. and if you dont know what impaction is basically an item clogs the colon/intestines in an animal and ruptures it

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

this is well deserved, stop wasting people's time - Lab_Rat   No Message - korith   And here is a special aquatic gift just for you ... - mermaidwannabe   In the direction of anywhere else but here - smaug   

0 Not allowed!
    I am building a tank stand for the 40 and all my pets are taken care of. the only pet things I'm picking up are extra stuff for my hamsters and a gravel vac. other than that they have everything. I just wanted to look into it.

people on here seem to be very negative so I just block the angry comments out. My pets are housed properly other than Spots and he has everything he needs. And I do take the advice ... thats why I'm building the tank stand and upgraded Spots and why Hinoko has her own tank and why everyone has better diets and filtration.

Ok no gravel at all ... but will coconut husk sloping down into the water cause a problem at all? clogged filter that stuff or just put up a small plexiglas divider with bigger rocks ramped up to it? I want to use a filter. And I'm still debating getting them.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

this is well deserved, stop wasting people's time - Lab_Rat   No Message - korith   And here is a special aquatic gift just for you ... - mermaidwannabe   In the direction of anywhere else but here - smaug   

0 Not allowed!
    Yes I ask a lot of questions and consider many different pets but i get on here to discuss that ... Why do you guys think I dont take care of my pets? My two goldfish who were my first fish and I followed everyones advice and returned them? My betta who was put in a bowl because the other members of the sorority were not working with her ... or my 12 year old kissing gourami in the forty gallon who loves his tank mate and is super healthy?

The pets I have now are two hamsters in 360+ sq in cages each and are being fed a high quality food and each have a wheel and plenty of toys and aspen bedding if anyone wants to know . Spots and Echo who have the forty gallon which has proper filtration and stays 76 degrees and they eat Omega one small pellets and Hinoko who has the ten gallon and is also eating Omega one ... so who out of this bunch isnt taken care of?
    Last edited by Elliriyanna; 12-26-2010 at 02:59 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliriyanna
    My betta who was put in a bowl because the other members of the sorority were not working with her
    your betta STARTED in a bowl. I don't know if you've forgotten that or hoped we have.

We told you your goldfish didn't belong in a 10 gallon so you looked for a way to rehome them. You told us you were going to put a betta in the 10 gallon and we agreed that that was a good idea but told you not to get the betta until the 10 gallon was free and cycled. That's the part you decided to ignore: you got the betta before you got rid of the goldfish, so you kept the betta in the bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Elliriyanna
    my 12 year old kissing gourami in the forty gallon who loves his tank mate and is super healthy
    Saying two kissing gouramis in a 40-gallon is "super healthy" is like saying someone who smokes two packs of cigarettes a day is super healthy. Maybe the smoker does seem healthy, up until one day when the doctors find out his lungs are covered in tumors. You might get lucky for a while, but it's a bad situation and you're ignoring that fact because it's not convenient for you.
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    125 gallon office tank: Africian cichlids, synodontis catfih
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    No that betta wasnt in a bowl it was in a one gallon tank not great but better than a bowl and he moved into the ten gallon within a week.

the fish was in a ten gallon for two years with no filtration or heat ... forgive me for thinking a forty for two with plenty of filtration was ok... and I'm not ignoring them I keep a very close eye on them for ANY signs of aggression.

If you want I can return little Echo but both are fine.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Moving the first gourami from the 10 to the 40 was a good thing. A 40 is still smaller than any credible source will recommend, but an improvement is always good even if it's not perfect - especially since you almost killed the gourami in the 10 because you never vacuumed the gravel (which shows a lack of the most basic understanding of fish care, while we're mentioning it). So you did a good deed. Or, at least you PLANNED to do a good deed, because before you were even able to move the gourami to the 40 you went against the advice of EVERYONE you asked and got a second one. You turned your good deed into a bad deed. You can't claim you didn't know, because you asked and people answered. You have no excuse for this. None whatsoever. You just don't care about the health of your fish or the opinion of people that know what they're talking about, and I'm sick of listening to you claim otherwise. You act on your whims and seek justification later.
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    it was a spike and you know nothing so think what you will. I got the other gourami for company for him. Do you think I should get rid of Echo? Spots is the most important fish to me we grew up together. I'll do anything to keep him healthy

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    You admitted you never vacuumed the gravel. There was a spike, yes. The spike was because you never vacuumed your gravel. there's really nothing more to say about that.

As for getting a second gourami to keep the first "company", you're assigning human emotions to fish. Some fish do in fact need company or else they will be stressed. Gouramis are not one of those fish. Other fish want their space all to themselves and can potentially become aggressive towards others. Gouramis ARE that kind of fish. You cannot claim you didn't know because you were told this when you asked how many you could keep. Suggesting that a gourami needs company is demonstrating a lack of understanding of fish behavior. Maintaining that opinion it after you've been told otherwise is willful ignorance.

You claim the fish are fine now and that may be true, but you have one adult fish and one baby fish. The situation, which is far from ideal to begin with, will get worse as the baby grows. Are you planning on buying a 150 gallon tank in six months? Somehow I doubt it.

Do I think you should get rid of one of them? Absolutely. You were advised not to get another one. Did you honestly think that advice would change if you ignored it for long enough?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I'm getting a gravel vac tomorrow and Echo is going back. Spots will have the forty with my cories... I got three more to keep company with the one that came with Spots.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I decided on the ADF's in a ten gallon and I'm gonna return Echo asap. Got a gravel vac. In your opinion on foods? And I have had ADF's now know the tank requirements and am going to do more research before I get them this summer.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast