· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to completlely kill a disease in a tank, without any fish in, but has liveplants?

0 Not allowed!
    I have completely drained the tank and am about to add water back to it... Can I add a little bleach to tank? If so how much? Will it kill the plants? Is there anything I could do that would be less harmful to the beneficial bacteria?? Please help!

Thanks!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What decease?

No, there is nothing you can "nuke" the tank with that will kill everything except things you like.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    80 Gallon: Native Temperate Reef

5 Gallon Native Temperate Invert tank

20 Gallon Planted: Cherry Barbs, Common Pleco, Floating frog, Fire Bellied Newt

10 Gallon Planted: Apple Snails/Cherry Barb Breeder.... fingers crossed

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Milligan
    What decease?

No, there is nothing you can "nuke" the tank with that will kill everything except things you like.
    I have no idea what disease. The only thing I know is it looks like ich, but doesnt respond to ich meds, and kills fast. I am almost 100% sure it isnt ich. Also I dont care as much about the BB as I do about the plants.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What did it kill and how fast? Perhaps you only noticed the problem just before the fish died?

Another common scenario is that it was ich, but it was the stress from the meds killed the fish. That would account for how fast it was too. I don't know anything that looks like ich, other than ich.

0 Not allowed!
    Originally I had some neon tetras, otos, and a betta. I had the betta for months and a couple weeks after I added the neons I noticed the ich like disease. I treated for ich immediately and it didnt help the fish all died. After that without any fish in the tank, I dosed heavily with ich meds, than did a massive 90-95% water change. I figured the disease would be gone after that, and got some cardinal tetras and otos, after about two days I started noticing the ich like disease on those fish, and they died the next day. Not sure what to do with the tank now. I have done a 100% water change but I still feel I need to add something to the tank... If I added some bleach, would it kill the plants? If not how much could I add, and how long before I do a massive water change after I add the bleach? What are some other options other than bleach?

Thanks!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Bleach will kill the plants in any concentration that would kill parasites.

You have two distinct episodes there....

Your first out break that killed your betta and neons, etc. Either you imported the parasite with your neons or the stress of adding them caused the population to be more susceptible to their attacks. Either the meds or the the lack of hosts would mean the parasites would be gone from the tank.

The second out break would be different. Even if it is a disease, ich or otherwise, nothing is going to kill that fast on it's own. There is another problem. Did you add anything else to the tank? Healthy fish are not likely to fall to illness like that. Ive seen the odd ich spot in all my FW tanks, but if the tank is cleaned and the fish healthy it never becomes a problem.

There is a piece of the puzzle missing.

Run your tank for a while without any fish (hosts) and any possible parasites will die off. Just clean the tank and run it.

Without finding the problem, adding chemicals to the tank is an unlikely solution.

0 Not allowed!
    Ok thanks! How long should I go without fish?

0 Not allowed!
    Ick can only live if there are fish to feed on. They will die out on their own or you can crank the heat up over 86 and also kill them.

A lot of plants can not tolerate any amount of bleach. Those that can, it's only a solution of 20 parts water to 1 part bleach and only for a couple of minutes.

Small tetra's a sensitive to many of the Ick medications and you can only dose half doses with them. But they is nothing else that looks like Ick and is not. It's either Ick or it isn't.

Awards Showcase

I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass 
    this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl 
    for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer 

0 Not allowed!
    i agree that running your tank without fish is the best solution to clear out the probable ich. if you add a bit of ammonia to the tank you can keep it running without fish and not lose your cycle. just be sure the level of ammonia is back to 0ppm before adding more fish.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1
    i agree that running your tank without fish is the best solution to clear out the probable ich. if you add a bit of ammonia to the tank you can keep it running without fish and not lose your cycle. just be sure the level of ammonia is back to 0ppm before adding more fish.

As an alternative to liquid ammonia you could add some snails (make sure they will leave your plants alone) or amphibians (dwarf or claw frogs, newts) to to give you something fun to watch but not a host for ick.... ick only attacks fish, right?