· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I know this is an old one, but I have had AC drama too, both with the "click" which never happens, as well as the intake tubes that were so hard to get to fit together, I almost got out my heat gun to stretch one of them.

Patience, as everyone has said above is key.

That being said, and after all the great reviews AC filters have gotten, my practical experience is that the Marineland Biowheel filters are better. They are too loud, and clunkier, but as compared to my AC tanks, they cycled faster and just seem more consistent in filtering. No, I did not do a scientific experiment with controls and separate tanks full of fish from the same mother. I've just had an easier time getting the Marinelands to do their job.

As I was telling a friend today, the AC is a Volvo, the Marineland is a Ford F150. I like both, but for utility purposes, the truck all the way. And, trust me, the Marineland sounds like a truck.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Full disclosure: I have equal numbers of both, more or less.

0 Not allowed!
    Since starting this thread, I have managed to get my AC50 to work, even though it didn't do everything quite in the way the folks here had said to expect. It's still flowing vigorously, doesn't leak, is whisper quiet and seems to be filtering well enough. It's just cantankerous to put together, and is individualistic when it comes to priming times, but I do now have a very full and powerful waterfall going with the flow valve completely open. When I close it down, the flow only decreases a little -- another individualistic trait this unit has.

From what I've read about the Marinelands with the biowheel, it sounds to me like it would be harder to work with because that biowheel can become unbalanced and stick. Also, I wouldn't want a lot of noise.

This is an older thread, and the most frustrating problems I had with it seem to have resolved themselves.

I just feel their instructions leave something to be desired, especially for first-time users. Necessary clarifcations are absent, although I realize they can't cover everything in a small fold-up brochure.

-- mermaidwannabe
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe
    I just feel their instructions leave something to be desired, especially for first-time users. Necessary clarifcations are absent, although I realize they can't cover everything in a small fold-up brochure.

-- mermaidwannabe
    I'm betting that no matter which filter is chosen that the accompanying instructions are not going to cover every issue that may surface. That's where the experience and advice of other fish keepers that have been in your situation shines. Most all the little quirks of the filter are know through experience.

Experience is the most valuable commodity that this forum has to offer. I know I benefit most every day from the experiences of others participating on this forum regardless of an individual's age.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    You're sure right about that, Taurus.
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.