· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Good luck with the community tank!  You WILL post pics when it's up and running!  Welcome to AC BTW - Mith for ur tank ! welcome to AC ! - Neon im not a good hug'er - rookie Grats on the fry! - Northernguy To go with your beer!  Thanks for the help! - dragoonwoman 
    Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii Happy Holidays - Northernguy Hey!  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!! - Mith Welcome to AC. - Brookfish For your pancake bunny - Cliff 
    aww thanks LOL  (Mith welling up with tears) LOL - Mith For all your help and patience!!!!! - fish00053 That was the greatist thing ever - Pele A new cory for your 10 gallon - Cliff For the  help - Rue 
    Dude that's the funniest signature I've seen on this site. Have a beer. - harpua2002 A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228 For getting too close to pleco's breeding rabbits. - gadget228 Awesome sig, make me chuckle :) - FinalJenemba Merry Xmas! Hope U have a good one! Thanks for all the DIY help! :) - Mrs.JayMay23 

0 Not allowed!
    Sometimes when you plug them in after they age a while, some aquaclears have this tendency for the impellers to just not move at all. Makes no noise when it is plugged in. I just have to move the U-tube and touch the impeller with something (I usually use one of my many fish tank "poking sticks". As soon as the impeller is touched it starts up just fine.

Strange, but IMO worth the minor hassle. All HOB's seem to have their own quirks.

Marinelands can be a little noisy once the impellers get worn, aqueons make a HORRIBLE screaming noise once the impellers get worn and the media space is crap, F&S's HOB's with the skimmer are great, but when they get dirty they turn into Niagara falls, and AC's have finicky impellers.
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?

0 Not allowed!
    It does "snap/click" in. You have to push the filter intake tube to it makes a click noise. That is what the directions mean. I have did maintance on many AC filters, and have repaired ACs that are over 12 years old. Once you get the hang out it, its easy.

The fact that you think a UGF is better then a AC or any HOB scares me. I am sorry, UGF are no where in the same league as any HOB. Even the cheap aquatech filters you get at walmart.

0 Not allowed!
    I find it easier to add the extension piece to the top piece after the top piece is in place. Just easier to get the first part inserted before adding the stem. Fill FULL of water.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks again to everyone for the clarifications and additional instruction. You folks are amazing at filling in the blanks.

-- mermaid
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I had bought three Marineland Emperor HOB filters for my tanks, and got tired of them sounding like trucks running down the road, read about Aquaclears, and decided to try a couple. They are very quiet, but I can't tell that they are an improvement on the Marineland. In fact, I feel like my Marineland filters with the Biowheel (which I thought was a gimmick) cycled faster and seem more reliable that the Aquaclear. My AC 70 just stopped working altogether two days ago, and my 55 with a 110 on it just doesn't seem to want to cycle. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has compared the two styles.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am a big fan of the Marineland power filters. I just cycled a 40g tank with one in less than 6 days with fish. I have been using Marineland since about 1992, I guess, and my original filter still works. FWIW I prefer the Penguins over the Emperors. The spray bar just doesn't do anything for me and it is just another thing to keep clean.

I have used a AC70 and it was quiet and worked well but I wouldn't say one is better than the other as far as filtering. The Marinelends cost less though and seem to be sturdier. I would hate to drop an AC because they look like they are pretty frail in the plastic department..

0 Not allowed!
    Marineland makes crap anymore. I've had several and the quality has gone down and down over the years. They're lousy for custom/bulk media so they're a money pit for replacing carts unless you're really into DIY and the wheels load up, get unbalanced, and stick. Plus the square U tube makes it difficult to add a prefilter sponge. I'll take an AC filter over any Penguin or Emperor (and I own two Penguins and one Emperor currently) any day of the week. Marineland's heaters are constantly being brought up because they keep getting stuck on and cooking fish. I'd rather buy no-name, Chinese knock offs than another Marineland product.

Sark

1G Planted Betta tank, 1.5G Planted Betta tank, 10G Planted Swordtail Fry tank,
    10G Neolamprologus Multifasciatus (Shell Dweller) tank. Empty/Work in Progress 135G, 40GB, 2 x 20GL, 2 x 10G
    My aquarium (and more) videos on YouTube

Awards Showcase

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs Have a beer on me - sailor Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75 happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb 
    Thanks for the congrats...decided to share my wealth LOL - Fishalicious For helping AC with profiles! - William Welcome Back xxx - Fishalicious Good to see you back on. Gotta give one for a local. - oldhead Have  beer on me! Its the weekend. - northernguy 
    Same to you! - NickFish Happy thanksgiving! Enjoy your algae stay away from turkey! : ) - The Red Severum For being so welcoming to a newbie. - Brookfish A Little Extra Luck For You! - Northernguy This one moves! LOL - Wild Turkey 
    For being a great contributor to the community - ILuvMyGoldBarb for driving participation in the forum - Gemini for breaking your winning streak - mrs fishpatrick here tuck in LOL - mrs fishpatrick FOR TEACHING ME SO MUCH - waterhog 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151 Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151 Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Wild Turkey 

0 Not allowed!
    I just wanted to echo that ive had some ACs that are finicky about priming as well, its always the same ones and ive had others come to me with the same problem.

That being said, definitely the best HOB available IMO and thats about the only problem ive ever heard of with them. Glad you got it worked out, air powered UGFs are typically a nightmare.

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, as per my other thread, I gave the AC50 another try and finally got it to go together properly, even clicking in the right places. The time it takes to prime before the waterfall begins is much shorter than many have said it should be, but that could just be my unit. My conclusion is that it just doesn't trap enough air to take as long to expel as one that traps a lot more air. Whenever I unplug it (while cleaning media), then plug it back in and refill the media chamber with water, it goes "ruh, ruh, ruh, ruh" for about 10 to 20 seconds, then the waterfall begins and it goes silent. I assume, as Lady Hobbs mentioned, that once that happens, the priming process has completed. I don't even have to help it along by continuing to add water -- it just does it all on its own.

With the help of everyone here who clarified some matters for me so I knew what to expect, I now have it up and running. It has already gone through one media rinsing -- mainly the sponge -- which was filthy after only a week of filtering.

I'm going to order a back-up AC50, just in case this one fails for any reason. Without a back-up, I would have no filtration at all in that event, since I took out the UGF.

Thanks again, folks, for filling the the blanks. The main thing I've learned is that while one should read and follow the printed instructions that come with the unit, they tend to not cover every situation or explain things that go contrary to what they say. I was always taught to take literally what instructions tell you, because that's part of following them. It seems they are, instead, a good general guide and are written in generalized language, but each specific situation can be different and one has to prepare mentally for that and deal with it as it comes up.

Anyway, my AC50 is filtering and powerful. From what you folks have described the Marineland filters to be like, they sound like more of a hassle to work with, and less reliable.

-- mermaidwannabe
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe
    The thing didn't prime! The directions said it was supposed to take anywhere from 30 to 45 seconds to expel air (prime) before the waterfall action began. In my case, it didn't expel any air at all. It began the waterfall immediately, which was contrary to what the directions said it was supposed to do.
    You say the waterfall began, right? Well the waterfall can't begin if the filter isn't sucking water in! So if the HOB had water flowing out of it, it was working! Yes?
    Last edited by Plant Man; 01-03-2011 at 08:00 PM.