· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the quote - **AquaQueen**   Message for you sir! - Aeonflame   

Default 2 new dwarf frogs

0 Not allowed!
    I noticed the loss of my little African dwarf frog a few days ago and mentioned it to my wife this morning.She came home with 2 of them this afternoon for me!Thats cool,but how they were sold isn't.She got them at Hallmark store if ya can believe that.They were in a tiny 5" cube with some ugly blue gravel and 1 tiny twig of bamboo for "aeration",,,,yeah right.The directions state you only need to do a 50% water change every 3months as the "living gravel" { I assume they are trying to say the gravel is the bio filter] another yeah right. I didn't take a pic of them in there because I could think of nothing else but getting them out of there and into my tank,which I did.What a scam these things are.I appreciate the gift for sure and she knew it wasn't a good situation for them,but she payed 20 bucks for them!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I know, eh! "Frog cube" or something. Same as a betta in a water glass or a goldfish in a bowl.

I look at these type of things in a bit of a different way than many. At least they are a way to get animals in the hands of people who might like them and take up the hobby. A true hobbiest will house properly hundreds and thousands of creatures over their lives.

Now, as for the $20, most of that is the cost of the tank. Perhaps they will take the tank back in exchange for a few more frogs! :)

Aquatic frogs need neither biological filtration or aeration as they are air breathers and evolved in stagnant mud puddles. I like clean water with frogs because they aren't much fun if you can't see them and they always share the tank with fish.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    80 Gallon: Native Temperate Reef

5 Gallon Native Temperate Invert tank

20 Gallon Planted: Cherry Barbs, Common Pleco, Floating frog, Fire Bellied Newt

10 Gallon Planted: Apple Snails/Cherry Barb Breeder.... fingers crossed

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    They certainly do need clean water. They also need a cycled tank as ammonia affects them in bad ways the same as fish,though not in quite the same way. The frogs produce ammonia from ther feces and urine and the only way that gets neutralized is through biological filtration. Nor is this a good wway to get animals into the hands of anyone,especially since the majority of people have no idea how to properly keep water pets. This is how a small cube of water with 2 little dead frogs ends up on some kids book shelf because they believe a half quart of water is sufficient for them.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    [QUOTE=smaug]They certainly do need clean water. They also need a cycled tank as ammonia affects them in bad ways the same as fish,though not in quite the same way.

oh.... please do explain. If it's not the same way, then what way? mood swings? Do me a favor and find a ditch full of tad pools and do an ammonia test on it before you try to school people on this again.

Quote Originally Posted by smaug
    Nor is this a good wway to get animals into the hands of anyone...
    Really? So you really expect everyone to go out and do piles of research when there is no suggestion that they need to? You and I know that LFS staff are classically abysmal sources of info, but that is because we are ALREADY in the hobby.

I imagine you wouldn't have many people to talk too here on AC if we removed all the people who entered the hobby via a goldfish bowl or betta cup or frog cube.

Allow me to point out the all these creatures live and die purely for our entertainment. Fact.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    80 Gallon: Native Temperate Reef

5 Gallon Native Temperate Invert tank

20 Gallon Planted: Cherry Barbs, Common Pleco, Floating frog, Fire Bellied Newt

10 Gallon Planted: Apple Snails/Cherry Barb Breeder.... fingers crossed

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Look.I don't come here to argue with members who exist strictly to stir the pot.It is my job as a fish keeper/animal steward to keep animals in better conditions then are found in mud puddles.I can also assure you that if that said puddle of water contains ammonia then the creatures in it are experiencing the breaking down of there skin and other membranes.The moods swings you obviously are experiencing are a problem of yours,the ammonia in an uncycled tank are a problem of the fish or amphibs in that water. Fact
    I'm done with this as I am sure you have nothing more educational to add then a few more sarcastic remarks.No creature I keep lives or dies for my entertainment,maybe you need to rethink why you keep the animals you do.