Thread: uhhhhhh . . . uh-oh
06-28-2007, 04:35 PM #1
uhhhhhh . . . uh-oh
i did a big water change yesterday (about 65-75%) and i forgot to dechlorinate it. I woke up this morning and my molly isn't as active as he was yesterday, when i fed him he still went up to eat but after that he went down to the bottom of the tank and has been sitting between the two rocks i have in there. My parameters are all good. Did the chlorine hurt him or poison him? if so what do i need to do to make him better? i'm going to petsmart later today so a quick responce would be greatly appreciated
06-28-2007, 04:44 PM #2
the good news is you caught it early. just watch her. she should be fine. my sailfin molly is like your molly. he will lay between rocks for no reason. hes done it so much i see it as normal in him. hes not sick or anything
06-28-2007, 04:44 PM #3
just dechlorinate it now with stress coat or whatever other dechlorinating product you have.
I am assuming you have city water that has chlorine in it?
06-28-2007, 04:47 PM #4
yes i do. i remembered as soon as woke up and immediately put the dechlorinate tablets in
06-28-2007, 04:50 PM #5Originally Posted by Erik
06-28-2007, 04:56 PM #6
i live in the middle of the city too and i accidentally wasnt using dechloritator for a month and i added bacteria supplement by accident and i never lost a fish
06-29-2007, 04:56 PM #7Member Goldfish
- Join Date
- May 2007
The great thing about chlorine is that it evaporates from the water pretty quickly...as in, within 24 hours. Even sooner if you have a lot of surface agitation. And since you left ~30% of the old water in the tank, that helped to dillute the chlorine.
I'd imagine you'll be just fine. The goldfish I now have *used* to get about 50% new, fresh water every day from their old keepers...straight from the tap, full of chlorine. They are huge and healthy...but goldfish are pretty hardy! lol