· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Hitchhiker!

1. Default Hitchhiker!

0 Not allowed!
    Well, i knew it was going to happen. This afternoon i picked up a couple live plants to get started in my tank, as i love having live over artificial. I had asked the lady at the LFS if it was possible but they don't keep snails in with there plants. So not even ten minutes after i get the plants in the tank i see a little black snail crawling across my african leaf fish's stumb. I have tried to take a couple pictures but it is just too small to get a clear one and it really is a quick little thing. Any ideas as to what usually hitches rides on plants. Obviously where ever the LFS got there plants from had snails with them. My other question as i have never had snails, and really never was going to keep them (i've heard stories of them reproducing quickly and can take a tank over? not sure how true this is-but made me nervous enough to never have one), is what are the benifits of keeping them and the disadvantages and if it survives its tank mates. I have 4 longfin minor tetras, 2 3 spotted gourami, a raphael catfish and an african leaf fish. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I figured i would ask before finding him a new home if it might be a problem

0 Not allowed!
    where there's one, there always are more, and many many eggs too.
    they will help clean fish and plant waste and scavenge any carcasses, and depending on fish, will also provide a secondary food source.
    if you overfeed and/or are not taking adequate care of waste in the tank, then they will swamp your tank.
    if you feed just enough and are diligent with waste management, they should never become a problem.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the info. Hopefully they won't go crazy and maybe i have some fish that will think they are a treat, the raphael and the leaf fish both are predators so who knows