· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

Default Calcium-rich snail foods

0 Not allowed!
    One of the most common questions regarding snails is how to make sure they get the calcium they need to grow and maintain their shells. One way to do that is by providing them with calcium-rich foods to eat. Here is a list of vegetables and fruits that have significant amounts of calcium.

Vegetables Calcium per 100 gram
    Dill Weed 208 mg
    Turnip Greens 190 mg
    Collards 145 mg
    Parsley 138 mg
    Kale 135 mg
    Watercress 120 mg
    Beet Greens 119 mg
    Chinese Cabbage 105 mg
    Mustard Greens 103 mg
    Chicory Greens 100 mg
    Spinach 99 mg
    Okra 81 mg
    Leaf Lettuce 68 mg
    Cilantro 67 mg
    Purslane 65 mg
    Endive 52 mg
    Swiss Chard 51 mg
    Broccoli 48 mg
    Cabbage 47 mg
    Rutabaga 47 mg
    Brussel Sprouts 42 mg
    Celery 40 mg
    Sweet Potato Leaves 37 mg
    Green Beans 37 mg
    Romaine Lettuce 36 mg
    Parsnips 36 mg
    Head Lettuce 32 mg
    Alfalfa Sprouts 32 mg
    Squash (winter, all varieties) 31 mg
    Turnip 30 mg
    Carrots 27 mg
    Kohlrabi 24 mg
    Sweet Potato 22 mg
    Cauliflower 22 mg
    Asparagus 21 mg
    Pumpkin 21 mg
    Squash (summer, all varieties) 20 mg
    Beets 16 mg
    Cucumber (with skin) 14 mg
    Red and Green Peppers 9 mg
    Tomato 5 mg
    White Corn 2 mg

Fruits Calcium per 100 gram
    Seedless Raisins 49 mg
    Orange 40 mg
    Lime 33 mg
    Blackberries 32 mg
    Kiwi 26 mg
    Lemon (no peel) 26 mg
    Papaya 24 mg
    Raspberries 22 mg
    Sweet Cherries 15 mg
    Strawberries 14 mg
    Tangerine 14 mg
    Apricots 14 mg
    Grapefruit, White 12 mg
    Grapefruit, Red & Pink 11 mg
    Pear 11 mg
    Cantaloupe 11 mg
    Grapes 11 mg
    Mango 10 mg
    Watermelon 8 mg
    Persimmon, Japanese 8 mg
    Pineapple 7 mg
    Apple (with skin) 7 mg
    Cranberries 7 mg
    Banana 6 mg
    Honeydew Melon 6 mg
    Blueberries 6 mg
    Casaba Melon 5 mg
    Nectarine 5 mg
    Peach 5 mg
    Plum 4 mg

Thanks to Scrup for finding and first posting this list.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Good info.

Sticky in snail forum?
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    80 Gallon: Native Temperate Reef

5 Gallon Native Temperate Invert tank

20 Gallon Planted: Cherry Barbs, Common Pleco, Floating frog, Fire Bellied Newt

10 Gallon Planted: Apple Snails/Cherry Barb Breeder.... fingers crossed

0 Not allowed!
    Can we safely assume that none of these will raise the pH in our tanks?

It would also be best, wouldn't it, to chop these items up very finely and physically place them on the substrate, directly in front of the snails? Since they are very slow, and other bottom feeders are much faster, it would probably end up being first come, first served. Perhaps it ensure the snails got it, one could pick the snail up and touch the morsel to its mouth region? In the case of trapdoors, like I've got, to nudge the trapdoor a bit to get the snail's attention? Mine are so often closed, they would be likely to miss out, altogether.

I know my Dojos would immediately consume whatever I place onto the gravel, so I am thinking a good strategy would be to remove the snails and feed them in a separate location outside of the tank.

Any thoughts on this? And, thank you for the list.

-- mermaidwannabe
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    no vegetable material should effect your pH unless you leave it to rot. The recommendation for fresh vegetable material is generally to remove it after 12 hours, or 24 hours at maximum.

Scrup makes his own food, I believe, by blending together several different substances and freezing it in a gelatin mix. Other people just attach the food item to a weight and feed it plain. Your feeding strategies will have to be customized for whatever works for you, depending on your stock. You may have to experiment to find a food that your loaches are not that interested in but your snails are.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brhino
    Other people just attach the food item to a weight and feed it plain.
    I just stick a stainless steel dinner fork in it and drop it in.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    80 Gallon: Native Temperate Reef

5 Gallon Native Temperate Invert tank

20 Gallon Planted: Cherry Barbs, Common Pleco, Floating frog, Fire Bellied Newt

10 Gallon Planted: Apple Snails/Cherry Barb Breeder.... fingers crossed

Awards Showcase

Good luck with the community tank!  You WILL post pics when it's up and running!  Welcome to AC BTW - Mith for ur tank ! welcome to AC ! - Neon im not a good hug'er - rookie Grats on the fry! - Northernguy To go with your beer!  Thanks for the help! - dragoonwoman 
    Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii Happy Holidays - Northernguy Hey!  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!! - Mith Welcome to AC. - Brookfish For your pancake bunny - Cliff 
    aww thanks LOL  (Mith welling up with tears) LOL - Mith For all your help and patience!!!!! - fish00053 That was the greatist thing ever - Pele A new cory for your 10 gallon - Cliff For the  help - Rue 
    Dude that's the funniest signature I've seen on this site. Have a beer. - harpua2002 A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228 For getting too close to pleco's breeding rabbits. - gadget228 Awesome sig, make me chuckle :) - FinalJenemba Merry Xmas! Hope U have a good one! Thanks for all the DIY help! :) - Mrs.JayMay23 

0 Not allowed!
    @mermaid, a good option might be those side veggie clips. Mine will rarely make a trip up to the top of the tank. Also, fresh veggies should be sturdy enough to not be devoured by the loaches right away.
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe
    Can we safely assume that none of these will raise the pH in our tanks?

-- mermaidwannabe
    Yes, since it is the carbonate hardness amount that will buffer (keep it from dropping) pH. If your carbonate hardness (kH) is moderate the life in your tank will consume the natural calcium in foods, so it won't raise your pH.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you very much for this very helpful thread for us who keep snails sir. ;)

9. Question Snail in air tube column?

0 Not allowed!
    I have a Nerite snail that twice now has crawled into the air tube column attached to a sponge in my 29 gallon. The bubbles seem to be hitting him pretty hard so I've gotten him out by inverting the tube and shaking him loose. Is this harmful to him? Should I just leave him in there?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    From time to time you may experience problems with your snails. Very little is known about what these illnesses are, what causes them, and even less is known about treatments. Unfortunately it seems more time is spent on increasingly more ingenious ways to kill them.
    saim45