· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Reedfish with inflammation

0 Not allowed!
    Hello

I have three Reedfish / Ropefish (Erpetoichthys calabaricus = Calamoichthys calabaricus) for over ten years. This species has as singularity what the swim bladder has the function of an accessory respiratory organ like a lung, it said it's worth.

Coming from a trip, I found that one of them has a significant inflammation. The inflammation is located in a particular area of the anterior half of body. It is most striking in lateral vision. It is appears to have the same consistency as the body, I believe. The fish seems a bit sluggish, but not much, it moves about the same as the normal ropefishes. No abnormal behavior (not adopt strange postures, no scratches ,...), just seems that inflammation is a burden for him to swim.

Stores and veterinarians from where I live (Asturias, Spain) can not tell me anything. Nothing more I discover it, I put the fish in a small separate aquarium, with the following multispectral treatment:
    * 9-aminoacridine hydrochloride: 5.3 mg / 100 L
    * Acriflavine chloride: 30 mg / 100 L
    * Lactate ethacridine: 170 mg / 100 L
    * Malachite green oxalate, 4 mg / 100 L
    A week later, the inflammation remains the same. It has not increased or decreased. The fish remains the same.
    I am thinking now Nifurpirinol treatment (25 mg / 100 L)

Please, I would greatly appreciate any help that allows cure my fish!

PS: Sorry for my English level, please.

Awards Showcase

Good luck with the community tank!  You WILL post pics when it's up and running!  Welcome to AC BTW - Mith for ur tank ! welcome to AC ! - Neon im not a good hug'er - rookie Grats on the fry! - Northernguy To go with your beer!  Thanks for the help! - dragoonwoman 
    Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii Happy Holidays - Northernguy Hey!  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!! - Mith Welcome to AC. - Brookfish For your pancake bunny - Cliff 
    aww thanks LOL  (Mith welling up with tears) LOL - Mith For all your help and patience!!!!! - fish00053 That was the greatist thing ever - Pele A new cory for your 10 gallon - Cliff For the  help - Rue 
    Dude that's the funniest signature I've seen on this site. Have a beer. - harpua2002 A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228 For getting too close to pleco's breeding rabbits. - gadget228 Awesome sig, make me chuckle :) - FinalJenemba Merry Xmas! Hope U have a good one! Thanks for all the DIY help! :) - Mrs.JayMay23 

0 Not allowed!
    Almost looks like it has eaten something it should not have. Is/was there anything in the tank it might have swallowed?

Do you use salt in the tank? Was someone caring for them while you were gone?

After reading up on that medicine, make sure if you do use it to follow all the suggestions and take the needed steps. It will kill the bacteria in your filter, and will only work in a dark tank.
    Last edited by Scrup; 12-08-2010 at 07:29 PM.
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for your reply

>Almost looks like it has eaten something it should not have. Is/was there anything in the tank it might have swallowed?
    I also thought that the stomach is approximately at that point of the body, but I'd rather be wrong. I try to remove the uneaten food scraps to keep them from eating rancid remains (among other things), but I guess always some remains may be or they have eaten something decoration, I don't know.

>Do you use salt in the tank? Was someone caring for them while you were gone?
    I don't use salt. While I was gone, someone took care of the aquarium, but this person did not know too well and the water quality deteriorated (if not, the fish would probably not ill).

>After reading up on that medicine, make sure if you do use it to follow all the suggestions and take the needed steps. It will kill the bacteria in your filter, and will only work in a dark tank.
    The ill fish is treated in a separate small aquarium, with its own thermostat and filter. During the treatment, the tank is remained in the dark.

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    May not help (but certainly shouldn't do any harm) try adding some epsom salt to the water. If it is a digestive tract blockage the epsom salt may help it along. In any case it will raise the general hardness of the water, which won't harm any of the fish or the tank in general.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks.

0 Not allowed!
    It's asymmetrical appearance (or at least it looks like that in the pic) suggests to me that it may be a tumor. Is it definitely a male? Could this be a female with eggs?

Sark

1G Planted Betta tank, 1.5G Planted Betta tank, 10G Planted Swordtail Fry tank,
    10G Neolamprologus Multifasciatus (Shell Dweller) tank. Empty/Work in Progress 135G, 40GB, 2 x 20GL, 2 x 10G
    My aquarium (and more) videos on YouTube

Awards Showcase

Good luck with the community tank!  You WILL post pics when it's up and running!  Welcome to AC BTW - Mith for ur tank ! welcome to AC ! - Neon im not a good hug'er - rookie Grats on the fry! - Northernguy To go with your beer!  Thanks for the help! - dragoonwoman 
    Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii Happy Holidays - Northernguy Hey!  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!! - Mith Welcome to AC. - Brookfish For your pancake bunny - Cliff 
    aww thanks LOL  (Mith welling up with tears) LOL - Mith For all your help and patience!!!!! - fish00053 That was the greatist thing ever - Pele A new cory for your 10 gallon - Cliff For the  help - Rue 
    Dude that's the funniest signature I've seen on this site. Have a beer. - harpua2002 A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228 For getting too close to pleco's breeding rabbits. - gadget228 Awesome sig, make me chuckle :) - FinalJenemba Merry Xmas! Hope U have a good one! Thanks for all the DIY help! :) - Mrs.JayMay23 

0 Not allowed!
    Ropefish are rumored to actually prefer salt. No full on seawater, but mildly brackish wont hurt (use sea salt)

Highly doubt it is eggs in its throat...

Kinda gross, and you may feel uncomfortable doing this, but I would try and take a peek down its throat.

Not forcing the mouth open, just holding it up in your hand so when it does open its mouth, you can see if there is any obvious obstruction.

Similar to this-

a toothpick or a soft qtip might help you get it open. I have read they are susceptible to a fatal skin fungus, due to contact with certain things (dry nets and dry cloth was what I read was the common trigger, could be due to damaging the slime coat), so I would do this as a possible last resort.

Please keep us updated!
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?