· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Nano Q's

Hybrid View

Default Nano Q's

0 Not allowed!
    So I finally got the desire to try my hand at a reef tank and decided to go with a nano reef. It is only a 2.5 gallon w/ live rock a few small hermits, micro stars, and some soft corals.

This tank has been setup for about 6 months now and seems to be doing very well, but recently I started noticing some red algae on the glass and some on my live rock. Is there anything I can do about this without hurting my coral? I'm far from a newb to FW fishkeeping, but I will be the first to say I have much to learn about SW. I'll also admit that I am having more fun with this project than I anticipated (I was sort of an anti-marine tank person).

Any advice or tips are appreciated!
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:
    20" Tropical Gar, 18" Florida Gar, 20" Longnose Gar,
    17" Ornate Bichir, 25" Silver Arowana, 16" Bowfin, 15" Giant Gourami

16" Male Dovii

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    this will fix your tank...
    the 6-9 month mark is a challenge, most picos wreck with algae at this point and you have a chance to save yours

this is only one way to fix it, but there is no other way I would use.

-when changing water, change all of it, stop doing partial water changes its storing up nutrients in your tank. tidal reefs are exposed for hours and hours in certain places, corals don't mind quick emersion during these changes.

wipe off the red algae on the glass during the next full change.

-take a blue jet flame lighter and singe the algae on the rocks while the tank is empty during the change, then wipe off with a paper towel and fill up. Get all the algae out in one cleaning, and when it comes back do the same.

not any time for explanation at work but this is what I do!
    B

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks! I'll give just about anything a shot. Will the algae ever not come back?
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:
    20" Tropical Gar, 18" Florida Gar, 20" Longnose Gar,
    17" Ornate Bichir, 25" Silver Arowana, 16" Bowfin, 15" Giant Gourami

16" Male Dovii

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The algae is simply the result of dissolved nutrition in the water. Water changes get rid of that. If you never let the nutrients build you will never get algae. Easier said then done, I know.

In the interest of your inverts, let me suggest that you that these changes be done "acclimation style". Meaning, that you have a large container of salt water siphoning into your tank through an airline hose. At the same time you have an airline siphoning out of your tank. Your tank is so tiny the extra water use won't be that much. The idea is that the water chem changes slower in the tank. I don't know about corals, but I've had a number of things die due to large water changes.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    80 Gallon: Native Temperate Reef

5 Gallon Native Temperate Invert tank

20 Gallon Planted: Cherry Barbs, Common Pleco, Floating frog, Fire Bellied Newt

10 Gallon Planted: Apple Snails/Cherry Barb Breeder.... fingers crossed

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Different algae blooms are simply stages most SW tanks go thru. Usually diatoms, then cyanobacteria, then hair algae.
    Continuing proper tank maintenance with partial water changes and reducing excess nutrients, proper water flow and proper lighting, will get you by. For cyano, you want to vacuum as much of the stuff out as you can when you do your water change.
    As Michael mentioned above, large water changes can kill critters that aren't from those tidal zones. Unless you know where your stock is from, I wouldn't risk large water changes.
    Last edited by sheamurai; 12-07-2010 at 01:35 AM.
    20gal long planted community

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    getting twenty responses is the tough part of a reef forum lol enjoy your information cherry picking lol

those are excellent origins for the algae. my thoughts were that unless you were going to hook up a giant skimmer, large water changes and a timed feeding could be your only approach to real nutrient control.

also, the flame is excellent because it physically removes algae, even after it would still be present in your tank by resetting your values to low nitrates and no phosphates, algae doesn't just go away when you reach those, it has to be sustained. You can wait all that time, or have it done in one hour and your tank will instantly look great, then you rezap the popups that are naturally emerging as said above, and in time they will lessen due to the large frequent water changes.
    In nano reefs, large water changes are inconsequential because the environment is already so harsh. How is it my delicate tanks of twenty genera get 100% changes for years and not die...you need to adapt animals to clean water to begin with it works

;)

either way you choose, post pics, we need at least cell phone pics for this outcome its a good buildup. no one chooses the fire way so at least post pics of all the snails you buy
    B