· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default flashing with mbuna

0 Not allowed!
    Hello,

I have a new mbuna tank(2 weeks with fish) that is completely cycled (with ammonia). There are 10 mbuna and its a 90 gallon. I plan to add more but I'm not sure my current stock is healthy enough to add.

Every once in a while some of the mbuna will flash against the rocks in the tank. I noticed about a week ago. Looking at them closely, I don't see anything wrong with their appearance. I keep checking on them couple times a day to see if any of them develop spots or discoloration.

Ammonia is 0, nitrites are 0, nitrates are at 20-40, and pH is around 7.5-8. 50% water changes are done on Sundays(tomorrow).

Is the flashing normal?

Another question...

I want to add 10-12 more mbuna at once and I only have a 10 gallon quarantine tank. I don't really want to add 2-3 at a time and keep tearing down my tank every time I add fish. Should I just add them to main tank? I would like to add them within the next week.

Thanks, Rob.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Flashing is completely normal. Cichlids will do this to show dominance for territory.This is also done when trying to attract a mate. So I would not worry about this behavior. I would try and work on lowering the nitrates a bit however.

As for adding the new fish. I would wait and let the tank settle in for a bit longer. You don't want to overload it so soon. Even on an established tank, adding 10-12 new fish at once may overload your system and you're likely to see a spike in your nitrate levels. Just consider that you've instantaneously doubled your population. Why would you have to tear down your tank to add fish?
    220g South American
    90g Reef
    20g Reef
    20g Reef

0 Not allowed!
    I'm on the fence with this one. The nice thing about a fishless cycle is that you're supposed to be able too add a lot of fish at once and it's perfect for cichlid tanks such as yours. You might play it safe by adding 6 now and 6 more in a couple more weeks especially since you do large water changes. Or, perhaps use Seachems Stability or Tetra SafeStart that will convert any ammonia quickly and add your 12.

I will defer to others advice, however. Are you stocking more females per males? Make sure you have plenty of caves so they aren't fighting over territories.

Awards Showcase

Good luck with the community tank!  You WILL post pics when it's up and running!  Welcome to AC BTW - Mith for ur tank ! welcome to AC ! - Neon im not a good hug'er - rookie Grats on the fry! - Northernguy To go with your beer!  Thanks for the help! - dragoonwoman 
    Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii Happy Holidays - Northernguy Hey!  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!! - Mith Welcome to AC. - Brookfish For your pancake bunny - Cliff 
    aww thanks LOL  (Mith welling up with tears) LOL - Mith For all your help and patience!!!!! - fish00053 That was the greatist thing ever - Pele A new cory for your 10 gallon - Cliff For the É help - Rue 
    Dude that's the funniest signature I've seen on this site. Have a beer. - harpua2002 A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228 For getting too close to pleco's breeding rabbits. - gadget228 Awesome sig, make me chuckle :) - FinalJenemba Merry Xmas! Hope U have a good one! Thanks for all the DIY help! :) - Mrs.JayMay23 

0 Not allowed!
    LH is right, its a tough situation. You will get a mini cycle by adding that many at once (though nothing water changes can't resolve), but the most important part is to make sure you have the correct harem setup. 3+f for every male.

And the flashing is a sign of dominance, or just a sign they are stressed. If all of them are doing it over and over, something is wrong. If one of them does it once in a while, no big deal.

Why would you tear down the tank?
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the input. The flashing is brief and doesn't happen often. I won't worry about it too much then.

I'm planning on atleast a 3:1 ratio and some single specimens.

I have more caves than fish with lots of rock work.

I would rearrange the rocks in the tank so all the fish have to re-establish territories. I could be out to lunch on this. I just assumed if you add more mbuna to an established population (without changing rockwork) they would be without bullied more than if everything was changed.

How many mbuna juvenilles would be safe in a 10 gallon quarantine? Or should I just add them to the main tank?

Thanks a lot for your replies.