· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I did and didnt "notice" any missing. I removed them as they all started to die all of a sudden and I went with more bloodfins.

I keep neons in with my community angel tank without any issues, all are accounted for dead or alive.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by HUMAN1ESS
    Going back and reading your post, i wonder why you thought peat moss was such a pain? On another forum (aquariumforum.com) there is a member named beaslbob that has a fully planted tank using the exact substrate i have setup and he doesn't use filters, or do water changes. The tank is so heavily planted that the plants absorb the ammonia. According to him, he hasn't done a water change in years and his fish are very happy and healthy. The moss was a little bit of a pain in the beginning, but after it gets saturated (may take a few weeks) it sinks and stays down. I can dig a hole in my sand to the peat and nothing will float to the top now. If you never used this method of substrate I suggest you really give it a try, I get great results from it.
    Yep, bob knows his natural tanks really well. its more along the lines but a modified walsted tank.

He knows his stuff when it comes to that and suggest you follow his advice.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by HUMAN1ESS
    If you never used this method of substrate I suggest you really give it a try, I get great results from it.
    I did and why I mentioned it. But happy that it's working well for you.

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    From what I have been told about adjusting ph with peat is to put it in your filter, not the tank... can anyone share the pro's & con's of that for me?
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandz
    From what I have been told about adjusting ph with peat is to put it in your filter, not the tank... can anyone share the pro's & con's of that for me?
    I didn't necessarily use peat moss to adjust my ph, I used it for a base for my planted tanks. Plants wont grow and flourish in just sand, but they will in the peat moss. The lowering of the ph is just a fortunate consequence.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteDevil
    I did and didnt "notice" any missing. I removed them as they all started to die all of a sudden and I went with more bloodfins.

I keep neons in with my community angel tank without any issues, all are accounted for dead or alive.
    Thanks for the input, I was going to put my 7 neons, and 5 red eyes in my 10 gallon planted tank. Now that I know they will be able to live together i'm going to keep my 10 gallon for my terrarium/ER tank.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So would the discus be ok in a smaller group of 4? I was also thinking about getting some angels.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Nice looking tank, keep us posted on how things go. As for your questions:

- I'd add more vertical structure to the tank for the discus to hide behind and swim around. They'll be more at ease in that type of environment. A large log or stump would be ideal, but I know they can be hard to find.

- As for lowering pH, try adding pelletized peat moss to your filter. It'll soften and acidify the water as well as adding some color. The important part will be to verify the pH regularly and make sure it stays stable.

- Neons should be fine with discus. I've seen cardinals, rummy nose, harlequin rasboras and threadfin rainbow fish used as dither fish in discus tanks with no problems. One they're full size, even neons are too big for discus to eat.
    My AC Fish Gallery:
    Another gallery with my fish

21 Gallon - 3 Ornate Tetras, 7 Pencilfish, 1 Oto cat, 7 Amano shrimp, 1 Peckoltia brevis, 1 clown pleco
    15 Gallon - 1 clown pleco, 6 threadfin rainbows
    10 Gallon - 7 Galaxy Rasboras, 4 Betta rutilans, Cherry shrimp, 1 Hillstream Loach
    65 Gallon - Cycling!

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry to thread jack but had other questions as I am currently planning things out for myself... For dithers how do Congo Tetra's rate? Would they be to big or in any way nippy with the discus?
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've seen a lot of people put congos with discus. I've also done it in the distant past. Some discus are much shyer than others and are a bit freaked out by them, some do fine together with them. As far as tankmates in general discus are kind of piggy fish, but chances are your going to keep them well fed. Mine don't even bother baby ghost shrimp most of the time because they're kept fed. They will eat more and more when they're larger though I'm sure, but I certainly don't mind some population control and free live food for my fish isn't bad either. In my experience discus will do well with even small neons, any schooling fish as long as they are kept well fed. Basically, I've kept small fish with discus, and rarely had them harmed in any way. Never have I actually seen a discus eat another fish but then again I don't have a really large amount of experience with them. The discus I have now may prove different when fully grown, but I've seen plenty of small fish kept with discus in other peoples tanks too with many fish that aren't super aggressive you can usually keep them from bad behaviors, or at least tone them down some by keeping them well fed. I'm not saying overfeed, but smaller more frequent feedings help keep a lot of peace in most tanks in my personal experience.
    No matter how much I learn or know I'm still gonna be a NOOB, but that doesn't mean I'm an idiot!