· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default A few question's about discus before I make the plunge

0 Not allowed!
    OK, I have been doing small things with my new 60 gallon for about 2 months now (got the tank in the beginning of October). I have a sand over pete moss substrate with a small amount of plants (for now), with 6 24w 6500k bulbs, and 2 nice size pieces of drift wood. For filtering I have a Fluval 305 with ceramic rings and filter floss only, and an aquaclear 30 with a foam filter and filter floss. I do water changes every 3 or so days to get into the habit of doing frequent water changes. My tap water has a ph level of 7.6, and with all of the water changes thats what my tank water stays at. My plans are to get 4 discus around the end of November. From what I have read, discus do better in groups of 5+, but I don't want to over stock the tank. My concerns are my ph will be just too high for the discus to thrive, and the smaller school of discus will harass each other until someone gets hurt. I do want to get another piece of wood in the near future, but i highly doubt that will help my ph too much. So can anyone offer any insight as to what to do about the ph problem? Also any constructive criticism is welcome. Here are some pictures of my tank.

P.S. all of the fish in the tank in the pictures are being re-homed except for the Pleco.

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    A 60 gallon tank is on the small side for discus, a 75 is usually the smallest tank recommended for them. The pleco looks like a common, and really should be rehomed before it outgrows the tank. A BN is a much better choice all around.
    As far as the water chemistry your easiest solution would be to buy a reverse osmosis filter. Some discus will live just fine in harder, alkaline water, others really do require softer, neutral-acidic conditions. It depends on the stock they come from, the strains closer to wild stock are usually the hardier types. Even the tougher ones do require softer water for successful spawning though, hard water will kill the eggs or at least prevent them from hatching. Higher pH also limits the amount of slime coat the parents produce, which is what the tiny fry feed on.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks.

0 Not allowed!
    I agree on dumping the pleco. your tank is too small and they tend to suck on the discus slime. a bn is a great pleco with discus. are you looking to breed? if not then don't worry about your PH. I have wilds in 7.6 and they are doing great. a stable PH is far more important. by the way, many people breed domestics in PH up to 8.5. wilds probably won't which is what I want.
    you can have 5 fish in that tank but you must keep up with the wc's. give them good quality food and very clean water and you will be fine.

0 Not allowed!
    I would have planted the heck out of that tank before putting that sand in there. Once you start messing around with more planting, you're going to have a mess unless you're very careful. Generally top soil is what's used, not peat. Peats lighter and tends to float more.

I agree on the pleco. They're not supposed to be with Discus, anyway. But I would plant the heck out of that tank, add more wood to match Discus enviroment and dose the tank with Seachems Stability for a week before even adding any Discus at all.

I have never had kept discus so will leave the rest to those who actually have had them.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Discus naturally do not come from planted areas there is little to no flora where they come from naturally.(however plants do not hurt infact they are needed in any freshwater tank with inhabitants that wont eat the plants or destroy them)

Ditch the pleco for any number of dwarfs, BNP's are just easier and cheapest to obtain.

6 discus in that 60g should be OK as they are schooling fish and NEED the presence of others to actually be fun to keep.

I have a 210 (heavily planted)with 21 discus in it, 4 angels, near a hundred small tetras, 5 bnp's 4 sae's 6 oto's 3 banjo cats ect.
    6 would be fine in the 60g with every other day 40% PWC's.

tap should be fine just insure what the fish were raised in water close to what your waters chemistry is. Discus are being bred and raised in Ph's as high as 8.2 with no ill effects, I do suggest a floating style plant to cut down on the light as discus prefer to have coverage and darker spots to hang out in.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    I would have planted the heck out of that tank before putting that sand in there. Once you start messing around with more planting, you're going to have a mess unless you're very careful. Generally top soil is what's used, not peat. Peats lighter and tends to float more.

I agree on the pleco. They're not supposed to be with Discus, anyway. But I would plant the heck out of that tank, add more wood to match Discus enviroment and dose the tank with Seachems Stability for a week before even adding any Discus at all.

I have never had kept discus so will leave the rest to those who actually have had them.
    At first the peat moss was a little messy, but now it really isn't a problem at all. I add plants about once a week and I really don't have to be careful (not really sure what you meant by that). As far as the pleco goes, I'm probably going to keep him until he gets too big for the tank. I have had him for 2 years and I'm just not ready to give him up.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    you cant have discus with anything but dwarf pleco's they will suck a hole in the side of the discus. Oto's are supposed to suck on the discus as well but I have not had that experience at all, but that might be due to size of tank as well.

clown plecos are neat little dwarf plecos and add some exoticness to the tank.
    I just gave up "freddie" he was about 7 years old and 18" long, he was 4" when I bought him. Its hard to give up the ones that stay around for a long time.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteDevil
    you cant have discus with anything but dwarf pleco's they will suck a hole in the side of the discus. Oto's are supposed to suck on the discus as well but I have not had that experience at all, but that might be due to size of tank as well.

clown plecos are neat little dwarf plecos and add some exoticness to the tank.
    I just gave up "freddie" he was about 7 years old and 18" long, he was 4" when I bought him. Its hard to give up the ones that stay around for a long time.
    Yea it's definitely going to be a tough decision. On one hand I really want a nice exotic tank with Discus, on the other hand I have had this fish in my family for 2 years now. The wife is going to be the deciding factor for the decision, the pleco (Elephant) is her favorite. I thought I would be ok with him in there, I have read a lot of threads that went both ways. Some people say their pleco doesn't mess with their discus and others say it was a disaster. But you guys are the experts.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs

Going back and reading your post, i wonder why you thought peat moss was such a pain? On another forum (aquariumforum.com) there is a member named beaslbob that has a fully planted tank using the exact substrate i have setup and he doesn't use filters, or do water changes. The tank is so heavily planted that the plants absorb the ammonia. According to him, he hasn't done a water change in years and his fish are very happy and healthy. The moss was a little bit of a pain in the beginning, but after it gets saturated (may take a few weeks) it sinks and stays down. I can dig a hole in my sand to the peat and nothing will float to the top now. If you never used this method of substrate I suggest you really give it a try, I get great results from it.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Also, does anyone know if I can keep a school of neon tetras in the tank with full grown discus? At my local fish store they told me the discus will eat the tetras, but I have read that discus like the company of other schooling fish. I already have a small school of 7, and as delicate as these things are it would be really nice to be able to keep them where they are.