· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Progress improving my filtration ...

0 Not allowed!
    Was at ShopCo yesterday and got a pair of 100% nylon knee socks which I will cut down to fit beneath the bio bag when I get my AC50 next week, to seed it with existing aquarium gravel. At first, the salesgal showed me some trouser socks that were part nylon and part spandex. I wasn't sure if the spandex wouldn't rot, so I asked for 100% nylon, and she found them for me. I don't normally wear those, so didn't have any on hand.

Now all I have to do is pick up the AC50 they are holding for me at my LFS, assemble it and, hopefully, it will work just fine.

I plan to get rid of the UGF altogether, as it worked well for awhile, but now is proving to be a pain in the butt. I'll be keeping the airstone, however, for two reasons: I like the bubbles, and it is hooked up to my revertible pump, which I need to have going in case the power goes out again. But, I'll be dispensing with the Maxi-Jets. I'll take those apart, clean them up, let them dry and keep them for another tank or for additional back-up, if I need it.

My nitrates still linger around 30 to 40, despite water changes and having vacuumed the gravel. I'll probably need to do that again between now and when I install the new filter.

I'm getting there, folks. Meanwhile, my fish are being good sports about it all. I've cut down drastically on their feeding, and they don't seem to be suffering any.

We're going to Spokane Monday, and hopefully I can pick up some hornwort and some Seachem Stability or the Tetra product. I was surprised that Foster and Smith don't sell Seachem Stability. They have a similar product, and they do sell Seachem products, but not that one.

When the new system is all together, I'll see how far it lowers the nitrates. Hopefully, that will be all it takes, along with regular water changes and keeping the gravel vacuumed, which I do anyway.

-- mermaidwannabe

20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Your sweating the nitrates too much.30-40 is acceptabale amd does not warrant using chems to lower it.The hornwort will do nothing for lowering them if you dont have plant supporting lights in place.If the chems you are talking about for the tetra product is the one that makes the claims for less water changes and time release beads that reduce nitrate ,,I can tell ya from years ago experiance with it that it is snake oil.Keep up the water changes,do regular gravel vacs and the trates will go down to the 20s with no other help.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, Smaug.

I just retested a couple hours ago after doing another 50% water change, and the trates are closer to 20, now. The ammonia and nitrite were 0, both.

I'm still going ahead with my plans to ditch the UGF because I think the AC50 will be easier to access and more powerful. And I think my vacuuming will be more effective, as well, because there won't be a filter plate on the bottom of the tank to trap debris beneath itself.

The Tetra product is Tetra's Aquasafe that Taurus recommended. But like you suggested, it might not be necessary. I was just thinking of using it when I seed the AC to help speed up the growth of the beneficial bacteria in the biological media. Or, Stability if I can't find the other.

I really am hesitant to use chemicals in the tank if I don't absolutely need them.

-- mermaidwannabe

20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The aquasafe is a water treatment.What Im talking about is there nitrate reducing chem.Cant think of it right now but I have used it and its useless.The ugf you have is also better off in a box in the basement,good job on ridding yourself of it.

0 Not allowed!
    Seachem's Stability is a great product for help in establishing BB in your filter. I've used it myself and can verify that it works. Tetra's AquaSafe has a good reputation, but I've never used it myself. AquaSafe and Stability do the same thing.

Smaug is right in that any product claiming to lower nitrates just by adding it to the tank water is snake oil. All you need is a good water conditioner, I prefer Seachem's Prime, and a BB bacterial booster. The gravel will also help establish the BB colonies that you need.

Tetra's EasyBalance w/Nitraban is what Smaug is referring to and you don't need it. It is snake oil and a waste of money.
    Last edited by Taurus; 11-27-2010 at 06:46 PM.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

0 Not allowed!
    Wow -- thanks again, fellas! I will definitely be getting Seachem's Stability. Thanks for the heads-up on the snake oil. I wasn't planning on adding anything else, anyway, but that's good to know.

I've cut way down on feeding my fish, and guess what -- they're as happy, energetic and active as always.

Last nitrate test -- between 20 and 40, most likely around 25. When it's in between chart colors, one has to estimate. Not dark enough to be 40 but a little too dark to be 20 -- know what I mean? Anyway, it's better.

-- mermaidwannabe