· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default DIY bucket trickle filter

0 Not allowed!
    Pretty much everything about my saltwater tank is DIY and I'd like to share it with you guys so I figured I'd start with my most recent project...

For various reasons I decided that I needed some mechanical and chemical filtration in a setup that didn't have any. The best/inexpensive way to do so for me seemed to simply add a filter to the existing overflow. I'm very limited on space so using buckets seemed to be the way to go for me.

Materials:
    4 5g buckets
    Small screws
    PVC

Tools:
    Hacksaw
    Power screwdriver
    3/32" drill bit
    3/4" spade bit
    Lighter

Construction:
    The first thing I did was cut 3" off of three of the buckets using a hacksaw. The bottoms of two of these buckets will be our containers for our filter media and the third will be our drip tray.

I drilled holes in a grid-like pattern in each of the bottoms to allow water to flow from one to the next. The key is to have enough holes so that the water can travel through without flooding but you also want a little bit of backup in the water to ensure even distribution of flow through the holes.

Then, I put four small screws in two of the bottoms located at 1/2" below the rim in order to stack the bottoms on top of each other.

I did the same for one of the bucket tops to use it as a stand for the filter. In the picture it shows all three bucket tops stacked but I later found out that just two put the filter at the perfect height.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I used four 6" pieces of pvc to raise the stack of trays off of the bottom of the main bucket.

And here it is put together:

*Forget about the tube sticking out of the side; I changed it to pvc as described below.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Plumbing:
    The plumbing will vary depending on your setup but I went with 3/4" pvc. Using the 3/4" spade bit, I cut a hole in the side of the main bucket towards the bottom for the water to go to my sump. I used a lighter to soften the plastic around the edge of the hole in order to screw a thread-to-slip adapter into it and then siliconed the heck out of it to prevent leaks. I then used straight and elbow pvc to direct the water to my sump.

I then used the same spade bit to cut a hole in one of the lids. I pushed straight pvc through it (first using a lighter again) and used straight and elbow pvc to direct it to the overflow. The isn't 100% necessary but will definately cut down on both noise and evaporation.

Well that's it for making this filter. The top tray should be left empty to be used simply as a drip tray for spreading the flow of water, the second tray I have polyester batting for mechanical filtration, I have activated carbon in the bottom tray for chemical filtration, and I have some rock in the bottom of the bucket for biological filtration.

Keep tuned for some of my older projects

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Nicely done. I like how you have left the top tray empty as a drip tray. That's inspiring.

I'd love a pic of your full setup, cos i get the impression that the whole tank area is slightly clustered and unsightly?
    Fiiiiiiiiiiissssshhhhhh!

0 Not allowed!
    I really like this idea. Seems to be a really easy way to add additional filtration capacity without up-grading hardware. I might try this as It seems like a good way to add more live rock to my set-up without crowding the display tank or sump. I could easily build a cabinet to house this set-up in and make it look like a end-table.

Im thinking about a variation of your idea with either a filter sock in the top compartment followed by a lager compartment with live rock.

I hope you dont mind a few questions. How did you determine the size and number of holes in the trays, was it just trial and error? Also, would this need cleaning just like you would with a canister filer set-up? I know you would need to rotate the filter sock about every 2 to 3 days with a clean one, Im just wondering about any other potential maintenance. I would think if you are removing / cleaning the medical filtration regularly every few days, you would not have to worry about any nitrate increases.

Good DIY post.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazedMichael
    I'd love a pic of your full setup, cos i get the impression that the whole tank area is slightly clustered and unsightly?
    Cluttered?...maybe. Unsightly?...I personally don't think so.

Here's what you see when viewing the tank in the living room:

Here it is with everything open:

Closeup of canopy:

Closeup of sump area:

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    Im thinking about a variation of your idea with either a filter sock in the top compartment followed by a lager compartment with live rock.
    I've tried filter socks myself and hated it because you need like 20 of them, you switch them out every couple of days, you wash them all in the clothes washer and start all over. I only had 2 and it was too frustrating constantly cleaning them by hand.

How did you determine the size and number of holes in the trays, was it just trial and error? Also, would this need cleaning just like you would with a canister filer set-up? I know you would need to rotate the filter sock about every 2 to 3 days with a clean one, Im just wondering about any other potential maintenance. I would think if you are removing / cleaning the medical filtration regularly every few days, you would not have to worry about any nitrate increases.
    I used a rather small drill bit for my setup because it's a small tank with relatively low flow. It was just trial but luckily without the error lol because it worked perfectly on the first try. Just like when designing an overflow, you need to kind of adjust for the amount of flow going through it. As far as maintenance goes, I went this route because I was tired of cleaning filter socks and it'll be easy to simply switch the polyester batting when I need to. Since I just built it, I still don't know exactly how long that'll be nor what other maintenance issues may come along. I've never really had issues with nitrates since I put the chaeto in there but I'll continue monitoring it to see if it increases.

Good DIY post.
    Thank you :)

Other DIY write-ups coming soon:
    Stand/canopy/LED fixture
    PVC overflow/sump
    Protein skimmer
    Solar powered moonlight
    CO2 diffuser

0 Not allowed!
    Glad to hear it

I was just about to ask you about the LEDs
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Nicely done. Feel better seeing the whole thing. I like how everything is DIY and shows how creative one can be!
    Fiiiiiiiiiiissssshhhhhh!