· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default I suck at plecos

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 30 Gallon tank with 3 baby bala sharks (harmless and keep to their own) and 5 average sized tiger barbs.and I've had them living fine in this tank for almost 4 months now. They were all my original first fish. But I've had about 4 different common plecos, all died within a week or two of introducing them to the tank. I have algae, driftwood, algae tablets, zucchini, perfect PH NH3 and NO2 levels, and plenty of hiding places. I do not know why these plecos keep dying. It is extremely frustrating to me now. Can someone please explain to me what I am doing wrong?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Just as well because 30 gallons is too small for a pleco and also much too small for bala sharks. Bala's get big.....10"-12"......and more.

Size:Up to 16" (40cm), females smaller
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 11-22-2010 at 06:31 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I knew i would get a comment like that. honestly.. they're fine. if I need to get a bigger tank, then I'll get one when I need it. my Bala Sharks are only 2.5 inches long. I highly doubt my 3 inch pleco are suiciding because they have no room, yet at every fish specialty store, they have almost 6-7 fully grown plecos in a tank no larger than mine.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino   

0 Not allowed!
    Fish stores can do that because the fish are only kept in such cramped conditions for a short length of time before they're sold. It's not ideal, but it doesn't have to be, long term. If you do successfully introduce a common pleco, you'll need to upgrade your tank quickly, they're fast growers. Bala sharks need a lot of space not just because they get big, but because they're very active fish that need a lot of room to run.

As for your plecos that have died, can you tell us anything you've noticed about them immediately prior to and after their deaths? Have their bellys been full or sunken (some plecos and other fish are not given proper food during shipping and storage at the store and could be starving by the time you buy them)? Any signs of disease (also entirely possible with new fish) or physical damage (tiger barbs can be pretty nasty)?
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    125 gallon office tank: Africian cichlids, synodontis catfih
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the quote - **AquaQueen**   Message for you sir! - Aeonflame   

Default erg rxrx

0 Not allowed!
    Not all water is suited to plecs. My wife was never able too keep them either. The good news for you is that you shouldn't be trying. Most plecs are too big for a 30 gal ,especially commons. The bad news is if a common won't make it for you neither will any of the smaller plecs.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    they usually turn a palish gray color the night before and kinda hang out at the top of the water. I did notice this last one looked as though it was shedding and had a fuzzy spot on its nose area, so I assumed it was some sort of bacterial disease. I immediately did a 50% water change, and added a tiny bit of freshwater salt.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the quote - **AquaQueen**   Message for you sir! - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    what type water test do you use? BTW. The balas have no business being in such a small tank either.They have the capacity to reach well over a foot and to be kept correctly need over a 100 gal tank.I know Im telling you alot of what you dont want to hear but thats what I do

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Ahhh ya got me! - Trillianne   Restocking your pond - Trillianne   Rep Message:  Thanks for the giggle!  Am still snickering. - Rhaethe   A little less toxic! Lol - Kayfish   Thanks for the rep - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    My common pleco is around 3-4 years old, he is up near the 16" mark. My balas hit 8" in about a year and a half. That is a pretty normal growth rate. Common plecos also grow pretty large pretty fast. A 30g is a good stepping stone into a larger tank, but as others told you, it is WAY too small in the long run.

Put simply, you WILL stunt your fish, they will be deformed, and they will not live long. I have seen a few bala's kept in less than ideal conditions. They end up stubby and short bodied. Properly kept, they are active, longbodied fish. Also, a full grown bala is a force you do not want to underestimate. They spook easy, and will beat themselves up, possibly kill themselves in a smaller tank, just by running into the sides. Something to consider.

As far as the pleco's go,
    1- they don't like salt
    2- what is your water reading? ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and PH. Perfect is relative. Your testing method also comes into play. Dip strips I am assuming?

3- have you compared your Ph to the Ph where you purchase your fish? A drip acclimator might help you with this.

4-do you have a heater in the tank? Do the plecos have any hiding places aside from behind the heater? They have a bad habit of scorching themselves.
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I have a tetratest laborett it has a bunch of different test chemicals and stuff.

I know Balasharks and plecos get big. thats why I got them, they seem to enjoy their stay in the 30 gallon for now until I can afford to buy a tank the size of the Atlantic. Its a long 30 gallon, not a cube. they have lots of length to swim. I enjoy the support of being told I need a bigger tank, but you can only read it so many times a day. especially in youtube comments, those usually include death threats and hateful remarks. My 3 best friends all have had aquariums before I got mine, so I'm a little more informed about aquarium stuff than the average noob :P.

but yes I have a heater, set at around 78 degrees. I was also told that common plecos are a lot more sensitive than others. and that maybe a bristle nose would be more appropriate.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by UAV online
    I enjoy the support of being told I need a bigger tank, but you can only read it so many times a day.
    You keep getting told you need a bigger tank because its true, and it's going to bite you soon if it hasn't already (the fish may be getting stunted even if you think they have plenty of room at this size). You're expressing annoyance at being given correct information. You came here for advice, but you're rejecting at least part of the advice you've been given simply because you don't like it. That attitude will make people lose interest in giving you additional advice very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by UAV online
    I was also told that common plecos are a lot more sensitive than others. and that maybe a bristle nose would be more appropriate.
    I'm not sure about sensitivity between commons and bristlenoses, but bristlenoses are a much better choice for the simple reason that they grow to be 4-6" rather than 18-24".
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    125 gallon office tank: Africian cichlids, synodontis catfih
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish