· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your cory fry...congrats! - Boundava   Happy Ammonia Milestone Day! - Rue   Congrats on the cycle! - Boundava   For your new tank - Boundava   Great advice about LEDs! - angelcraze2   

Default Cory Barbs missing...

0 Not allowed!
    When I was feeding my fish this morning, I noticed one of my Corydoras Aeneus is missing its barbs. All of them. Gone. It almost looks like his "lips" are gone as well.

Can someone tell me how the barbs might come up missing? Water params are acceptable. I have a nitrate problem, it always registers 20-40 ppm in all my tanks, but I do regular water changes. I have no predatory or fin nippers... There are 9 other Corys, Raspbora Espeis and Head and Tail Light Tetras, as well as some shrimp and snails in the tank. Sand substrate. No changes to tank in the past two months other than adding the shrimp.

I took a photo with my phone, but as I went to upload it just now I realized he is not visible due to a shadow. I'll try to take another photo later this evening.
    It's my kids fault I am hooked on this hobby... It all started with a Desktop 5 Gallon Father's Day Gift!

My Tank Journals:
    In Wall 55 Gallon - My first "Large" tank...
    135 Gallon Tank
    20L Multi- Betta Tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's an umbrella for the coming storm - mermaidwannabe   Thanks for the points - Silbar   Thanks for the rep - Silbar   Try to stay dry this week. - Silbar   More rep already? Thank you kindly my friend ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Corys are very sensitive to water params..those trAtes need to stay <20 ppm all of the time

How often do you do WC's, how big are they, and is the tank planted?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your cory fry...congrats! - Boundava   Happy Ammonia Milestone Day! - Rue   Congrats on the cycle! - Boundava   For your new tank - Boundava   Great advice about LEDs! - angelcraze2   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Corys are very sensitive to water params..those trAtes need to stay <20 ppm all of the time

How often do you do WC's, how big are they, and is the tank planted?
    I have been doing water changes of ~25% every week, and 50% once per month when I clean out the canister. Now that you mentioned plants, I do have plants in there, they are fairly new as well. They were added a little over a month ago (approximately six weeks ago). I also started dosing CO2 during the day when I added the plants. I have kept a very close eye on the fish, and up to now there were no obvious changes to any of them. It is possible that this guy has been hiding under a rock or in one of the caves and I haven't seen him until now, but I count them a few times per week, and I have been counting 10 Corys in the this tank every time I've counted.

As I mentioned, my Nitrates have always been at 10-40 ppm. Even after a large water change I get a reading. My tap registers ~10 ppm and I have never seen ill effects on the fish in the past. Obviously that doesn't mean it will never have an affect on them, but it hasn't to this point...
    It's my kids fault I am hooked on this hobby... It all started with a Desktop 5 Gallon Father's Day Gift!

My Tank Journals:
    In Wall 55 Gallon - My first "Large" tank...
    135 Gallon Tank
    20L Multi- Betta Tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's an umbrella for the coming storm - mermaidwannabe   Thanks for the points - Silbar   Thanks for the rep - Silbar   Try to stay dry this week. - Silbar   More rep already? Thank you kindly my friend ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Try doing larger changes weekly...I do about 70% in all of my tanks weekly

Hope he turns out OK for you...the plants should help a bit as they grow in

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep! - steeler58   Thanks!! - steeler58   Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7   Thx4rep - pRED   Won't let me give a rep ptr re the 12 gal tank - fishmommie   

3 Not allowed!
    You didn't mention it, but in case you aren't, make sure to vacuum the substrate every time you change out water to remove all the decomposing food and fish wastes.

While high nitrates are the most likely culprit, flukes can also erode cory barbels. Look for miniscule, just-barely-visible white, aubergine-shaped things hanging off your cories' mouth. They're smaller than barbel nubs and also tend to undulate slightly.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep and all the thumbs up ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for all of your wonderful input. I appreciate it very much. - Silbar   No Message - BluewaterBoof   Have a book for all your research for yourself and Nat - steeler58   Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    If you could get a pic, that would be great!

Get some more floating plants (frogbit) to eat up that constant nitrate. Or anacharis/elodea densa. Something free floating in the water column that grows quickly.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 12-02-2016 at 04:37 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Great info on water softeners - Boundava   Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    what substrate are you using?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    He states sand substrate in the first post, not sure what kind, though.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   

6 Not allowed!
    Most cases of barbelloss are bacterial issues.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G925F met Tapatalk
    No Cory, No Glory !!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Great info on water softeners - Boundava   Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    He states sand substrate in the first post, not sure what kind, though.
    was wondering if it was blasting sand or other sand