· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default White growth on mouth of Neon Tetra

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,

White growths have appeared on the mouths of several of my neon tetras. I first thought that it must be some form of fungus or Columnarius (which i know is bacterial), so I treated the tank several times with Interpet's Anti Fungus and Finrot treatment (which claims to treat columnaris as well). Unfortunately nothing changed and the white growths just got bigger.

Anyone know what this could be, or why the Anti Fungus/Finrot stuff isn't working?

Thanks.

Neon.JPG

0 Not allowed!
    It's hard to tell from the pic (I know it's difficult to get good pics of them as they're always moving.) but it looks fungal. Could it be that it's a growth, like a tumor? How many fish is this affecting, how're they acting, and what's the chemistry of the water (as in the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, temp, ph readings?) How old is the tank (how long has it been cycled?)

Sark

1G Planted Betta tank, 1.5G Planted Betta tank, 10G Planted Swordtail Fry tank,
    10G Neolamprologus Multifasciatus (Shell Dweller) tank. Empty/Work in Progress 135G, 40GB, 2 x 20GL, 2 x 10G
    My aquarium (and more) videos on YouTube

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi thanks for the reply. I did think about a tumour, but it's strange that other fish have it too (about 3). The one in the picture has it the worst. They are generally behaving normally, although the one pictured seems to be having some trouble eating (for obvious reasons..)

I tested the water a few days ago, and all readings were normal apart from a slightly high nitrate. I've been changing the water regularly to make sure it's ok..

The tank's about a year old.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My neon (one out of three) has the same thing, only a little smaller. I treated the tank with Jungle's Fungus Eliminator awhile ago, and it didn't do much. When Lab_Rat suggested to limit the feeding, as it might be Leo bumping up against them, it went away. However, it has started to come back, so it might be that the he (common pleco) is once again hitting up against the low-swimming tetras.

(Same normal readings as well, and very established/old tank.) Anxious to see what others have to say.

I agree, it's hard to take pictures; especially if you have shy ones, hehe.
    29 Gallon: Tetras, blue Gourami, Corys

~~~~~~~~
    10 Gallon: Cosmo - Red Veiltail
    Blog

0 Not allowed!
    How high were the nitrates?

You could try Melafix and Pimafix for a week or two and see if there's improvement. Both are pretty benign meds though I believe there are special dosing instructions for Tetras. Both Mela and Pima have anti-fungal and anti-biotic properties.

Sark

10G Neolamprologus Multifasciatus (Shell Dweller) tank. Empty/Work in Progress 135G, 40GB, 2 x 20GL, 2 x 10G

0 Not allowed!
    This happens to my whiteclouds. I posted a pic to this forum and I believe it was Dave66 that said it's like a fat lip. He said it was a fluid filled scab that they get from nipping at each other. I've never treated mine and the "bubble" pops after a few days and all is well. Just keep you up with your water changes.

Attaching pics of the "bubble" on my Clouds.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I had something similar with my old batch of neons. In the end all of them had it and nothing I tried helped them, they couldn't eat either. Unfortunately all of mine died.

Keep up the water changes and try some melafix or something.

Good luck!!
    ~Col~

4 ft 60g FW: 2 angels, 4 blind cave, 1 whiteskirt, 4 gold widows, 6 serpaes, 1 neonhead apisto, 4 clown loaches, 4 albino cory, 2 bronze corys & 3 BN plecos.
    23g FW: 1 neonhead apisto, 1 yoyo, 2 albino BN plecos & 4 pepper cory
    5.5g: Crowntail Betta, 6 black Khuli's & RCS
    5 g: Crowntail Betta, 1 albino cory (Quasi), 4 baby khuli's & RCS
    7 g: Dragontail Betta & 2 albino cory
    3ft Axi tank: 1 black, 1 gold - 1 redcap oranda & 2 albino cory

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbyguppy
    This happens to my whiteclouds. I posted a pic to this forum and I believe it was Dave66 that said it's like a fat lip. He said it was a fluid filled scab that they get from nipping at each other. I've never treated mine and the "bubble" pops after a few days and all is well. Just keep you up with your water changes.

Attaching pics of the "bubble" on my Clouds.
    Yeah what my neons have looks very very similar to that..! I don't know what it is, it's really frustrating.

I had this with a single neon about 3 months ago, and he died because he couldn't eat with it.. I thought it had gone away until it reappeared in several of my neons recently.

Nitrate read about 50 ppm, but is now back to normal after water changes.

It's strange that several people have had similar experiences but we don't know what it is..!

0 Not allowed!
    40 and below is considered 'safe' but it's best to keep Nitrates as low as possible through regular water changes. Had it been a long time since you did a water change or vac'd the gravel? The cleaner the water the better chance your fish have to heal. I still think it might be bacterial in nature. If you were going to treat you'd have to remove them from the tank and use a QT tank. I'd treat with some Furan-2, Tetracycline, or Eurithromicin (sp?) The latter two will kill off the BB in your filter but I don't know for sure with the Furan-2. I'd assume that it would as well though. Clean water, isolation, treatment, and then see where you stand.

Sark

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmo321
    Yeah what my neons have looks very very similar to that..! I don't know what it is, it's really frustrating.

I had this with a single neon about 3 months ago, and he died because he couldn't eat with it.. I thought it had gone away until it reappeared in several of my neons recently.

Nitrate read about 50 ppm, but is now back to normal after water changes.

It's strange that several people have had similar experiences but we don't know what it is..!
    Do you ever see your Neons sparring? That's when my Whiteclouds end up with a "fat lip". I think Dave "hit the nail on the head". He told me he's seen it before and it's usually from nipping at each other.
    I've seen it several times, but have never lost a fish. Perhaps Whiteclouds are tougher than Neons.

Your nitrates are way too high. I keep mine under ten at all times. Do more water changes, at least once a week.

Karen