· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Question Hollow Ornament Question

0 Not allowed!
    Hi All.

I am new to this forum and was hoping to get some advise. I have just started my first fully planted tank and so far I love this tank. The tank is new and still cycling so I only have a few fish in it which makes it look bare but the plants are going crazy with new growth!

I do however have a question about tank ornaments. I wanted a more natural looking tank but didn't want actual drift wood so we purchased a large root ornament from a big name pet store which we put in the tank and looks great. This root however is rather tall (15") and the legs and top of it are hollow. I didn't think too much of it until I noticed fish were missing and found they were hiding in the hollow top area. The legs are hollow but only have an opening at the bottom which is blocked by sitting on the substrate. I know that hollow ornaments are normal but this one doesn't have large openings to get in and out of so I filled it with filter fiber so they wouldn't be able to get into it. Now I am wondering if I should even be using this ornament at all since the water that gets trapped in it isn't circulating like the rest of the tank water. Will this cause unwanted bacteria or stagnate water issues in the tank? Also if I continue to use this ornament should I remove the filter fiber and use something else or just nothing at all? I have invested too much money in this tank for it to be ruined by a single ornament. The tank specs are listed below.

Tank - 56 Gal
    Substrate - Eco-Complete
    Filter - Penguin BioWheel
    Lighting - Nova Extreme
    Plants - Dwarf Baby Tears Dwarf Hair Grass FoxTail Sagitaria Subulata Anubias Nana Java Fern Amazon Sword Ludwigia Narrow Neaf
    Fish - Tiger Barbs Green Tiger Barbs and Serpae Tetras

Thanks for the help...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Ahhh ya got me! - Trillianne   Restocking your pond - Trillianne   Rep Message:  Thanks for the giggle!  Am still snickering. - Rhaethe   A little less toxic! Lol - Kayfish   Thanks for the rep - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    The stagnant water should be fine. If you used filter floss it should still get oxygenated somewhat. If you are really concerned you can cap it off with silicone. Good call on the filter floss. They can and will get stuck. Loaches are one of the worst about that IME.
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for posting this. It's something to think about. Aquarium ornaments aren't always manufactured with the well-being of the fish in mind. It's more visual aesthetics. That's something I will watch for in the future.

-- mermaidwannabe

20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Ahhh ya got me! - Trillianne   Restocking your pond - Trillianne   Rep Message:  Thanks for the giggle!  Am still snickering. - Rhaethe   A little less toxic! Lol - Kayfish   Thanks for the rep - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    I know there is one model of fake log that is a known fish killer, seems to always trap them in it, and its impossible to get them out without breaking it.
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - korith   another pleco for your AC Tank - Northernguy   Good job with your filter - Cliff   No! You're banned for sending me a gift.. : ) - Little Embers   Any more pleco's and your going to need a bigger tank. - gadget228   
    Childhood Cancer - Pleco380   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Pleco380   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Pleco380   

0 Not allowed!
    Hiding places are often good. As long as they don't get stuck. Some of my fish are almost always hiding a a hollow decoration.
    26 gallon- 1 Clown Pleco, 3 Rummy-nose Tetras
    Read about my fish in my blog:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...wjournal&j=467

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Hollow Ornament Question

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for all the replies.

Here is the picture of the ornament.

I have a couple other tanks that have hollow ornaments that have hollow areas for fish to hide in by design, but this one just looks to be like a "fish trap" if you know what I mean.

Bill

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Only loaches will make every attempt to squash themselves in the smallest crack. They can't help it. But that ornament looks absolutely safe. It's all open, no hollow interior. I can't envision anything getting stuck in that. Seen something very similar to it inshop too. My Exadvise: safe.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - korith   Can't give you an award, but have a gift while you are waiting : ) - Little Embers   In memorium to your little angelfish - mermaidwannabe   A bouquet to brighten your day! - kurly   In memory of your loss. - Strider199   

0 Not allowed!
    So are the fish getting inside the ornament through the hollow skinny little legs?

If yes, then can you bury the openings in the substrate a bit more?
    ~Col~

4 ft 60g FW: 2 angels, 4 blind cave, 1 whiteskirt, 4 gold widows, 6 serpaes, 1 neonhead apisto, 4 clown loaches, 4 albino cory, 2 bronze corys & 3 BN plecos.
    23g FW: 1 neonhead apisto, 1 yoyo, 2 albino BN plecos & 4 pepper cory
    5.5g: Crowntail Betta, 6 black Khuli's & RCS
    5 g: Crowntail Betta, 1 albino cory (Quasi), 4 baby khuli's & RCS
    7 g: Dragontail Betta & 2 albino cory
    3ft Axi tank: 1 black, 1 gold - 1 redcap oranda & 2 albino cory

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Excellence
    Only loaches will make every attempt to squash themselves in the smallest crack. They can't help it. But that ornament looks absolutely safe. It's all open, no hollow interior. I can't envision anything getting stuck in that. Seen something very similar to it inshop too. My Exadvise: safe.
    I thought the same thing at first, but the entire top portion and the legs are hollow with openings just big enough for my small tiger barbs to get into. Once in I am worried about them getting back out since the openings are like funnels toward the inside of the ornament. As for the legs, no they are not getting into the legs, but I am concerned about stagnate water or harmful bacteria building up in the water that remains trapped in the legs. Am I being over paranoid? As I said before this is my first fully planted tank and I really don't want to screw it up. Thanks...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Tiger barbs, eh? They won't stay small for long. Young fish like that only take a few months with good feeding to large themselves quickly. Have faith that fish are canny enough not to put themselves in danger. Most won't.