· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default New Owner of an AquaClear 110! Let the Deluge Begin...

0 Not allowed!
    Okay all. Here we are. I finally bit the bullet and took the majority of people's advice here and purchased the 110 tonight from my local PetSmart -- let me explain why I purchased it from the store instead of from Jenn's eBay retailer or another online source, and then get into some questions I have...

I didn't really want to take a loss on the Aqueon QuietFlow 20 which I bought with the intentions of "supplementing" the filtration of the QuietFlow 55 which is also running in my tank, so I decided to return the 20 to the PetSmart I bought it at, and they allowed me to put the return price of the 20 towards the new AquaClear -- after also buying a new bottle of Stability (because my old bottle became deformed to the point that I couldn't squeeze any more out of it; don't know what happened there), the total price came to 80 something bucks, so this was probably going to be in and around the same thing I was gonna pay online when tax and shipping was done...and plus, I feel better knowing that I returned the Aqueon 20 because it wasn't doing anything for my tank, and I was able to put its value towards the AquaClear at least...

Now, that said -- I set everything up according to the directions and some help from some of you members, and the filter is running just fine. However, there are some things I am concerned with, and would like some feedback on because I need to get the most optimum filtration for these goldfish at this point...my water is still ridiculously hazy and smoky/cloudy.

First of all, I know everyone recommended I don't use the carbon bag when loading the media basket of the 110 -- but I rinsed it (along with the bio max and sponge) and put it in anyway as the middle layer of the media load. Is this okay? Will I be doing any sufficient damage to the filter/fish with the carbon bag in there?

With regard to the "flow regulator knob" on top of the basket...the instructions said to keep it at maximum flow upon first startup, which I did, but the current seems ridiculously strong even in my 60-gallon...I have been playing with that "knob" that controls the flow, but I am afraid that not leaving it on maximum output will stop the filter from making my water cleaner right now. What should I leave this flow regulator on? Furthermore, when I move that control knob from left to right, the entire intake pipe moves in a weird fashion within the basket; is this supposed to happen?

I have the media layed out like this: The sponge block on bottom, the carbon bag horizontally on top of it and then the bio max mesh net bag on top of the carbon -- and the plastic lid for the filter covering all of that. Is that setup correct? Does anything else need to get done?

Finally -- after checking the water after a few hours of the filter running now, the quality doesn't seem to have improved...it's still cloudy and hazy; I realize it's not a miracle machine, but will I start to see improved water quality with the 110? Do I need to do water changes right now or just let the 110 do its thing along with my Aqueon 55?

Thank you, everyone, for all your guidance leading me up to this purchase...I just hope this filter helps in solving some of my water problems with this tank, and I hope this added filtration is what my goldfish needed, as Hobbs and so many of you have suggested.

Looking forward to all your comments and insight.
    FUJIMOTO 60-GALLON RECTANGULAR - BLACK OAK STAND & FULL CANOPY - AQUEON GLASS VERSA-TOP (24"X1) & FLUORESCENT LIGHT STRIP - MARINELAND PERFECTO GLASS CANOPY (24"X1)
    AQUEON QUIETFLOW 55 325GPH (X1) - HAGEN AQUACLEAR A-620/110 500GPH (X1)
    TETRA WHISPER 60 AIR PUMP (X1) - TOP FIN BUBBLE WALLS & AIRLINE TUBING
    RED CAP ORANDA (X1) - ALL-ORANGE FANTAIL (X1) - CHOCOLATE/GOLD FANTAIL (X1) - CALICO FANTAIL (X1)

Awards Showcase

Good luck with the community tank!  You WILL post pics when it's up and running!  Welcome to AC BTW - Mith for ur tank ! welcome to AC ! - Neon im not a good hug'er - rookie Grats on the fry! - Northernguy To go with your beer!  Thanks for the help! - dragoonwoman 
    Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii Happy Holidays - Northernguy Hey!  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!! - Mith Welcome to AC. - Brookfish For your pancake bunny - Cliff 
    aww thanks LOL  (Mith welling up with tears) LOL - Mith For all your help and patience!!!!! - fish00053 That was the greatist thing ever - Pele A new cory for your 10 gallon - Cliff For the  help - Rue 
    Dude that's the funniest signature I've seen on this site. Have a beer. - harpua2002 A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228 For getting too close to pleco's breeding rabbits. - gadget228 Awesome sig, make me chuckle :) - FinalJenemba Merry Xmas! Hope U have a good one! Thanks for all the DIY help! :) - Mrs.JayMay23 

0 Not allowed!
    It will take a while for bacteria to establish. I would let it run full speed for now, as long as the fish arent bouncing off the walls.

The adjustment does that, it just moves the intake pipe around, if you look at the base you can see what it is doing.

Keep up with the water changes. It can only help.

The carbon wont hurt, but its not gonna help. That stuff loses its charge after a few weeks anyway, then its just rocks in your filter. Eventually it can start to leech back into the water.
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrup
    It will take a while for bacteria to establish. I would let it run full speed for now, as long as the fish arent bouncing off the walls.
    Thanks Scrup; I'll leave it at full, but the current the fish need to swim through looks rough around the waterfall radius...

The adjustment does that, it just moves the intake pipe around, if you look at the base you can see what it is doing.
    Okay, so that is normal -- I just wanted to check and be sure; it almost makes the intake pipe like move at weird angles...if you know what I mean...

As long as it's normal...

Keep up with the water changes. It can only help.
    Should I do them immediately?

The carbon wont hurt, but its not gonna help. That stuff loses its charge after a few weeks anyway, then its just rocks in your filter. Eventually it can start to leech back into the water.
    Well this is not good news...leech back into the water? Well then how long should I wait to remove it if I don't want to do it immediately?
    FUJIMOTO 60-GALLON RECTANGULAR - BLACK OAK STAND & FULL CANOPY - AQUEON GLASS VERSA-TOP (24"X1) & FLUORESCENT LIGHT STRIP - MARINELAND PERFECTO GLASS CANOPY (24"X1)
    RED CAP ORANDA (X1) - ALL-ORANGE FANTAIL (X1) - CHOCOLATE/GOLD FANTAIL (X1) - CALICO FANTAIL (X1)

Awards Showcase

Good luck with the community tank!  You WILL post pics when it's up and running!  Welcome to AC BTW - Mith for ur tank ! welcome to AC ! - Neon im not a good hug'er - rookie Grats on the fry! - Northernguy To go with your beer!  Thanks for the help! - dragoonwoman 
    Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii Happy Holidays - Northernguy Hey!  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!! - Mith Welcome to AC. - Brookfish For your pancake bunny - Cliff 
    aww thanks LOL  (Mith welling up with tears) LOL - Mith For all your help and patience!!!!! - fish00053 That was the greatist thing ever - Pele A new cory for your 10 gallon - Cliff For the  help - Rue 
    Dude that's the funniest signature I've seen on this site. Have a beer. - harpua2002 A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228 For getting too close to pleco's breeding rabbits. - gadget228 Awesome sig, make me chuckle :) - FinalJenemba Merry Xmas! Hope U have a good one! Thanks for all the DIY help! :) - Mrs.JayMay23 

0 Not allowed!
    It will take a few months, and really the amount is negligible. It might have an impact on very very sensitive fish, but nothing to worry about in that tank.

Just remove it when ya can. Not a bad idea to have some on hand though in case you do need to use meds for anything. It is also good at removing tannins from driftwood, as a side note.

0 Not allowed!
    Yep, carbon takes everything out of the water, good or bad, but only for a short time (1-3 weeks), then it is just dead-weight, taking up valuable bacteria real estate.

A few members mentioned it in the other thread, but I'll repeat it, the main function of carbon is removing medication, especially the stronger stuff. If you have a planted aquarium, carbon absorbs the fertilizer / mineral supplements.

Keep it for a week or two, then either replace it with another foam or a purigen bag.

From this moment on, never clean your filter media with tap water, only aquarium water. The chlorine in tap water with destroy your bacteria in seconds, washing away the time and effort you put in cycling your tank.
    90G Goldfish Tank - 2 ranchus, a black ranchu, and a Demekin.

32G Micro fish Tank (need new pic) - Tetras, barbs and a loach.

15G Tank (On loan to my sister)

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Scrup and Xavier...

I actually filled the AquaClear up with tap water to start its priming of the pump -- was this okay?

I understand the carbon is good for taking out meds and tanin and such, but will it remove the Stability I have put in?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Stability is bacteria in a bottle from what I understand...

No, the carbon will not absorb the bacteria. The tap water will kill it though.
    Personally I have not had luck with those bottles of bacteria. Seems too iffy IMO. If it works for you though, by all means!

0 Not allowed!
    You can leave the carbon in and use stability. Should be fine.

As for using tap water to prime it... careful in the future. There were no bacteria in it this time, but from now on you have to use aquarium water or treated tap water. Any new water needs to have prime added to it.
    90G Goldfish Tank - 2 ranchus, a black ranchu, and a Demekin.

32G Micro fish Tank (need new pic) - Tetras, barbs and a loach.

15G Tank (On loan to my sister)

0 Not allowed!
    Glad you finally decided to get your AC110 Filter, Hillside_TRECE.

Everyone has already given you good advice so I won't repeat what has been said. On a side note, We had a repair man over to the house a couple of days ago for some plumbing issues in our house. As he sat at my kitchen table writing up the estimate he looked over at my tank and said " Wow, that's the quietest filter I have ever heard. You can hear the one on my tank in the basement from all the way upstairs."

I didn't tell him that it was an AC110 because he was a talkative little man and was being paid by the hour!

Just thought I would throw that in for a few bonus points for the AC110
    10 Gallon: Planted Red Cherry Shrimp
    65 Gallon: Planted South American Community
    30 Gallon: Planted Bolivian Ram Tank

Reduce The Stress....Cycle Fishless!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrup
    Stability is bacteria in a bottle from what I understand...
    Indeed it is; it aids in beginning a BB colony/cycle...

No, the carbon will not absorb the bacteria. The tap water will kill it though.
    Well, I only used tap water once to prime the pump and let it begin flowing -- I won't do that in the future, per Xavier's warning...

Personally I have not had luck with those bottles of bacteria. Seems too iffy IMO. If it works for you though, by all means!
    I don't really know if it works for me yet; I have re-begun this cycle a few times already, and haven't been able to bring it to its week completion...