· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

Default labnjab's frag tank

0 Not allowed!
    We started fragging our sps and realized we didn't have much room for frags in our display so we picked up a used aqueon 20 long last night and decided to make a frag tank. Its in the planning stages now.

Here's the plan. It will plumbed into our 75 gallons sump. I'm debating on getting it drilled or using the eshoppes overflow HOB that we have. I'm thinking drilled. The HOB overflow is kind large for a 20 gallon and I really want to maximize room for frags.

Since it will house mainly sps frags it will be high flow and high light. To start I will use 2 koralia 2 powerheads and add more if needed.

For lighting were going to go with a 150 watt metal halide fixture with a 14000K bulb so they look the same as the parent colony. I was going to go with a 10,000K for growth but decided I'd rather them look as good as the parent colony so I'll stick with the same bulb the display has.

The tank will be bare bottom with eggcrate shelves and I'll add a few snails to help with algae.

Thats all we have for now. I still need to buy the powerheads, a return pump, a stand, and light. Hopefully we will have it running by the new year

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump

0 Not allowed!
    We are picking up a 175 watt light Metal hailde this week, its a little more then we wanted, but I can always mount it higher and acclimate them to it. For $40 I can't complain, lol. I also ordered 2 koralia 2 powerheads so all we need now is to have the tank drilled and a return pump.

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

0 Not allowed!
    I'm looking forward to the up-dates as you go.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    I'm looking for suggestions on a return pump. It needs to be small as I'm lacking space in the sump. I'm thinking something in the 500-600 gph range, which would give me 10x turnover after factoring in head loss. A friend even offered to drill the tank for us.

Another benefit of this tank is 20 gallons more water volume to the system

I'll keep you updated. We pick up the light early this week and the powerheads on Saturday. I also need to buy or build a stand.

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

0 Not allowed!
    Turns out the tank we have is actually a reptile tank, it was used for fish but IMO its too think to safely drill. (were going drilled vs HOB overflow) A friend is giving us a pre-drilled acrylic tank, I think its about the same size as a 20 long, but it may be a little smaller.

Looks like the power heads were getting are the new koralia evo 750 gph which will give us 70x turnover between the 2, plus then can be used with a wave maker unlike the older series of koralia power heads. This will give us the chance to try out the wave maker feature of our reefkeeper lite.

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

0 Not allowed!
    Update:

We ordered a return pump from the same guy we're getting the powerheads from and he's building us a stand for the tank. All for $110 and 7 frags which is a really good deal. All in all this build will cost us under $200 and a few frags once we buy new bulbs and misc plumbing. If all goes well it will be running by thanksgiving

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish