· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default White Ribbon Plant

0 Not allowed!
    Hi guys. Just few days ago I got me a White Ribbon Plant (Dracaena sanderiana) from Petsmart for my Fluval Edge betta tank. I went ahead and planted it in my tank and it looks great. However, I did some research on it online and found out that its not really an aquatic plant. I find this kind of strange as its clearly labeled an aquarium plant on the packaging when I bought it.

Has anyone every had this type of plant before? Any luck with it? Is it really an aquatic plant or some house plant? I've included some pics of it. Thnx.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MercenaryKarma

36 Gallon Bow Front Freshwater Aquarium
    6 Tiger Barbs
    4 Clown Loaches
    5 Chinese Algae Eaters

16 Gallon Bow Front Freshwater Aquarium
    1 Pearl Gourami
    1 Male Betta - Delta Tail
    5 Zebra Danios
    2 Emerald Green Cory Cats

6 Gallon Fluval Edge
    1 Male Betta
    9 Neon Tetras
    3 Albino Cory Cats

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I just made the same mistake you did. These plants arent aquatic plants. Petco and Petsmart are selling non-aquatic plants as aquatic plants. They do fine for a little while, and then when they die, we think it is our fault, when it is their fault... Im taking mine back tomorrow. I am upset by this...

Google is your friend. Use it!!!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    They are a good plant for terrariums and can be kept feet wet but not submerged. A good rule of thumb for looking for tank plants is to look for solid colored leaves that look thin in appearance. There are few aquatic plants that are multicolored and leaves that are meant to be submerged are normally thin and do not hold there upright stance or leaf shape when in open air. Take this plant back and give them a hard time for it,if more customers complained about being fooled they may rethink there labeling.

0 Not allowed!
    Dracaena species are not aquarium plants but they are sold at fish stores because people put them in terrariums, as smaug said. Best to check out the kinds of plants you want first then take a list to the store so you don't get those that are wrong.

You can put this plant in a pot in your house tho because a houseplant is really what it is. If you see Lucky Bamboo at the fish store, don't get that one either or arrow leaf. They also sell those and people make the mistake of buying them, as well.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I almost bought a peacock fern from them until I looked it up on my phone and discovered it wasn't aquatic either. Honestly, I'd just refrain from buying plants from them. Why should you have to worry if the plants are even aquatic or not? Find a good LFS nearby and give them your business. Or better yet, order some plants from members here. You can get plants that aren't available in most stores and at really good prices too.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I bought the White Ribbon plant from PetCo about a month ago also. Appreciate the message about it not being an aquatic plant. Will yank it out when I get home.
    55g: Planted Tank: Firemouth, Blue Acara, Rainbow Cichlid, 15 Bloodfin Tetras, and 8 Panda Cories

45g Planted Tank: 2 Koi Angelfish, 19 Rummy Nose Tetras, and 6 Green Cories

20g Planted Tank: 8 Harlequin Rasboras, 4 Peppered Cories, and 8 Amano Shrimp

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Damn I just bought this from petsmart :( I should bring it back I guess?
    RIP Shark Bait, my Red Tail Shark :(

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    this thread is two years old, but yes. yes you should.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah I know but I just bought mine like two days again lol
    RIP Shark Bait, my Red Tail Shark :(