· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Root Tabs

1. Default Root Tabs

0 Not allowed!
    I'm going to start using root tabs in my planted aquarium and just had a few questions as I've never used them before.

Just some info about my tank: its a 60 gallon long tank with a few different species of plants. The plants include Anubias, Wisteria, Aluminum Plants, Java Fern, Java Moss, Vals and another plant I think is a Hornwort but I'm not 100% sure. Lighting in the tank is only a single 54 watt Hagen T5 HO Life Glo Bulb and substrate is about 2 inches of small gravel (not sure which type).

I'm currently dosing Flourish and API Leafzone once a week (Flourish one day and Leafzone 4 days after).

My question is what should I do once I get root tabs? Which of these 3 methods should I use to keep my plants lush and healthy?

1)Use root tabs as per instructions and continue current dosing of Flourish and Leafzone.

OR

2)Use root tabs as per instructions and use Floruish once a week but stop using Leafzone.

OR

3)Only use root tabs.

Thanks for you help and if anyone has any other suggestions as to how I should fertilise my plants please let me know.

Josh

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Some plants need liquid ferts but using two liquid ferts sounds excessive - what does one have the other dosen't and visa-versa? Sounds that you are over dosing. Are your plants so dense and light/CO2 system so strong you are running short of trace minerals? Otherwise, I'd use only one liquid fert. Root tabs are spaced near plants that use roots to get there nutrients - no need to put them around plants that get nutrients from water.

0 Not allowed!
    I find no difference in using Leaf Zone from Flourish so not sure the reason of switching back and forth. You are still dosing twice a week so see no problem with it but just wondering the reason for switching. Root tabs are still used no matter what liquid you use. Flourish tabs last about 3 months. I no longer use them myself since I don't have sword plants tho.

Florish tabs are expensive. You may want to check out the tabs at aquariumplants.com. MUCH cheaper with great reviews.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 05-17-2012 at 11:46 AM.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I read on another forum that flourish doesn't contain much potassium or iron (cant remember which one) and leaf zone has both of these so I thought it might be a good idea.

I'm not switching them each week I'm dosing both each week although not on the same day as each other. Thank you for the link Hobbs will have a look at the website.

0 Not allowed!
    I printed out the complete ingredient list of Flourish and Leaf Zone a couple years ago but can't find it now. They really are not all that much different. Leaf Zone does not list everything on their label, is all. I use no phosphates in my planted tanks as my water contains enough of it. Phosphates cause algae problems.