· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

Default Just wondering ....

0 Not allowed!
    Are green or purple bettas dyed? I've seen both, and am just wondering if they're bred that color or has it been injected?

-- mermaidwannabe
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    no they are not dyed. you can get green if you breed two royal blues together. you will also get steal blues and royal blues if you where to breed royal blues to gather and as for the purple are you referring to the copper purple or the kinda purple you sometimes see on the salamander patters? the copper shad of purple is simple. the copper gene is basically double metallic steal blue and the reason there is copper purple is because there is a hint of red thats why it looks purple. as for the salamander shad of purple. the salamander pattern has a strong red under layer and the blue layer is on top of the red layer and sometimes the blue coat isnt thick enough so the red color kinda blends with the blue making the purple look. you can learn some stuff about bettas genetics if you want to take the time to research about them and learn some from breeding if you have the chance. heres a site i kindda like, ooh also the guy who created the site also created a bettas forum called bettas4all.nl if you want to get into more about genetics (the guys name is joep, hes a scientist from the UK that has a interest in betta genetics and breeding/showing) anyways heres the site for some genetic help
    http://www.bettaterritory.nl/BT-AAB.htm
    Last edited by the_K; 11-11-2010 at 06:45 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you needed a gift - Agassizii   Thanks for the tip! - Northernguy   I'm so sorry :( - Oscar_freak12321   Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New Years, here's your Pl*co! xD - Oscar_freak12321   
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - VoidParadigm   

0 Not allowed!
    Greens and purples are both able to occur naturally in bettas.
    Glass-type fish, ie: transparent or pale fish are the species that get dyed, because the dye will show up more brightly in that kind of fish than the generally darker-scaled bettas.
    A severe lack of trichogaster.

Just because your Gourami is sick does not mean it is always Iridovirus, DGIV, Gourami Disease, et cetera.
    Look at all the other factors in your tank before coming to this conclusion.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

0 Not allowed!
    Good to know they don't dye them. The greens are beautiful. If I were to have a Betta, I would choose a green one. Don't plan on having any, though.

Thanks for all the info. Very educational!

-- mermaid
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need some fishies with your ribbons - Lady Hobbs   coreys need company - Lady Hobbs   Celebrating my first batch of bred shrimp! - kurly   Because I love my Bolivian Rams :D - kurly   So my first Bolivian won't get lonely - kurly   
    Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - kurly   Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - kurly   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - kurly   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - kurly   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - kurly   

0 Not allowed!
    Bettas are beautiful fish with so much personality! I actually had one that had both green and purple in him. My daughter wanted one and after we got her Betta I went out the next day and got one for me. Sadly they both died but both lived for several years.

That was 5 years ago and my introduction to this wonderful and enjoyable hobby called fishkeeping.

I've graduated from a 2.5 mini-bow to a 65 gallon tank and haven't looked back!
    10 Gallon: Planted Red Cherry Shrimp
    65 Gallon: Planted South American Community
    30 Gallon: Planted Bolivian Ram Tank

Reduce The Stress....Cycle Fishless!