· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks cooling! and yeah i do, i was thinking about that in the first place, i got a nice large female JD that would probably love the fry....i just wasnt sure if using them as feeders was frowned upon or not, kinda like hybrids, not cool... but i guess feeding baby fry would save me some money ! i wouldnt put anything in the tank with the cons, i may try a pleco for a bit, but he may need to be removed after a bit, well see how things go!!!!
    Dim!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    if i had the space/money for another tank thats probably exactly whati would do with it. My fish like feeders every now and then but im not putting those nasty feederfish in my tank

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yeah, they carry pretty nasty diseases, i think the convict fry will definately be a healthier choice, and when i do feed my JD or Acie live food i only give them red rosies ocasionally, but theyre diet consists of pellets flakes and frozen brine shrimp
    Dim!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dimdim
    yeah, they carry pretty nasty diseases, i think the convict fry will definately be a healthier choice, and when i do feed my JD or Acie live food i only give them red rosies ocasionally, but theyre diet consists of pellets flakes and frozen brine shrimp
    Haven't been reading through the thread to much but it seems you have the JD and Acie living together. If so here is a prime example of why you shouldn't mix cichlids from different regions.

The acie is a herbivore. Feeding mostly on algae (riddle with microorganism for protien) in its natural habitat. In contrast the JDs diet is much different. Acie should eat food under 40% protein (it is usually on the back of the fish food boxes) as a staple. I never feed my mbunas anything live or things like bloodworm. It just is not a appropriate diet.

You should avoid protein rich foods for Africans(acie) because this can lead to problems in the future like malawi bloat( it is debated if protein or just bad quality protein is the cause)

Ideally they should be in different tanks at least 55 gallons each (the Acie would do lovely in an mbuna tank with around 10-15 other mbuna)

But for now I'd recommended picking up one or more of the following to feed the acie as a staple: Omega One Veggie Flakes, Omega One Super Veggie Flakes, or New life Spectrum cichlid pellets.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    my acie and jack dempsy were recently housed together due to a leaky tank, this is just temporary, if anyone lives in the london ontario area and wants a beatiful adult blue acie i will sell it! but thanks for the tip on the food lethal! we supply with new spectrum cichlid pellets to all our fish, of course in moderation
    Dim!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123