· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks for the warning, if the behaviour starts to change we will provide them with a larger tank.
    Dim!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok i guess ill just come out and say it, regardless of whether agression forms or not that tank is too small for a pair of kribs let alone a pair of convicts. These fish can easily attain 5 inches and keeping them in a 10 gallon would be very similar to you living in a walk in closet 24/7 365 days a year. It just isnt a suitable home for them no matter how much you want it to be. Feel free to ask around on here or just about anywhere where you can talk to people who know a thing or two about fish. You will have a very very hard time finding anyone who will tell you a 10 is suitable for any cichlid aside from shellies. Im actually shocked that no one else has told you that this is a bad idea.
    Last edited by coolingeffect; 11-11-2010 at 04:07 AM.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by coolingeffect
    Ok i guess ill just come out and say it, regardless of whether agression forms or not that tank is too small for a pair of kribs let alone a pair of convicts. These fish can easily attain 5 inches and keeping them in a 10 gallon would be very similar to you living in a walk in closet 24/7 365 days a year. It just isnt a suitable home for them no matter how much you want it to be. Feel free to ask around on here or just about anywhere where you can talk to people who know a thing or two about fish. You will have a very very hard time finding anyone who will tell you a 10 is suitable for any cichlid aside from shellies. Im actually shocked that no one else has told you that this is a bad idea.

CoolingEffect makes an excellent point and I couldn't agree more. As we discussed in another thread when you asked about breeding JDs, the fish need room to get away from each other. Temperament aside, a 10g is not sufficient to support a pair of convicts by any means. Personally I would not even keep a single female convict in a 10g. By placing the pair in a 10g you're going to suffocate the fish...figuratively speaking...and is probably not going to end well.

I remember when I first started out in the aquarium hobby I asked if I could keep what I thought was a mated pair of oscars in a 10g. And boy did I get blasted for it. But I didn't know any better at the time. Since then I have learned from it and now I have four tanks in excellent condition and in the process of setting up the fifth. From what I recall of your other thread, my best advice is to take a step back, look at what you have now, and make a realistic goal of where you want to be in six months. And the most important advice...research research research! I can tell by your presence on this forum that you care about your fish which is already a good sign!
    220g South American
    90g Reef
    20g Reef
    20g Reef

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dimdim
    thanks for the warning, if the behaviour starts to change we will provide them with a larger tank.
    It's not a matter of IF, but WHEN. It WILL surely happen, just as the sun WILL rise tomorrow.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by coolingeffect
    Im actually shocked that no one else has told you that this is a bad idea.
    Glad you did because I was about to. Small tank= Small fish! How often must we say it?

Cichlids that have 200-400 babies do not belong in a 10 gallon much less the adults alone.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    hey there, my convicts have been in my ten gal for two days, they are spawning there eggs as i type this message, anything i should look out for? if she starts to eat the eggs should i take her out? i seen her with an egg in her mouth and she was spitting in and out...
    Dim!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    no what you should do is immediately look for a bigger tank or rehome your convicts......period. Im not sure how much clearer I can make this. A 10 gallon is too small for any cichlid other then shell dwellers or maybe MAYBE some of the dwarves. Cichlids are cool fish but require space and excellent filtration.
    Last edited by coolingeffect; 11-12-2010 at 04:22 AM.

Awards Showcase

Good luck with the community tank!  You WILL post pics when it's up and running!  Welcome to AC BTW - Mith for ur tank ! welcome to AC ! - Neon im not a good hug'er - rookie Grats on the fry! - Northernguy To go with your beer!  Thanks for the help! - dragoonwoman 
    Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii Happy Holidays - Northernguy Hey!  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!! - Mith Welcome to AC. - Brookfish For your pancake bunny - Cliff 
    aww thanks LOL  (Mith welling up with tears) LOL - Mith For all your help and patience!!!!! - fish00053 That was the greatist thing ever - Pele A new cory for your 10 gallon - Cliff For the  help - Rue 
    Dude that's the funniest signature I've seen on this site. Have a beer. - harpua2002 A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228 For getting too close to pleco's breeding rabbits. - gadget228 Awesome sig, make me chuckle :) - FinalJenemba Merry Xmas! Hope U have a good one! Thanks for all the DIY help! :) - Mrs.JayMay23 

0 Not allowed!
    Wait until they are done laying the eggs, then remove them or smash them. Watch out, convicts will bite you if you get too close to the eggs. I've had a large male draw blood on my hand.

You cannot raise those fry in that tank with the parents.

Think of it this way. For every 2 you let survive, you get 500.

They spawn every few months, some every month.

Get a larger tank or a smaller fish.

Since you seem to not be listening to anything anyone is telling you, I am sure you will find out soon enough how in over your head you really are. Good luck with it.

Just out of curiosity, why did you remove them from the original tank?
    Last edited by Scrup; 11-12-2010 at 05:35 PM.
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    the convicts are going to be moved into a bigger tank tonight, im picking up a 60 gallon for my community, and our current 30 gallon will be the cons new home, as for the ten gallon could it be used for a growout tank? :\
    and its not that im not listening, im trying to make ends meet right now.
    Dim!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    there we go, yes i think that the 30 would make a good home for a pair of cons though i wouldnt probably add any other fish to the tank as they get SUPER nasty when they have eggs/fry. The 10 would work as a growout tank but also keep in mind that giving away convict fry is like giving ice to eskimos. Alot of people breed convicts to use the fry as feeders for bigger fish, do you have anything that might enjoy eating some live food?
    Last edited by coolingeffect; 11-13-2010 at 08:32 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast