· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default 30 Gallon Nano...Any Input?

0 Not allowed!
    Heya AC. I wanted to show off my system and ask any of you long term reefers if you have any input or suggestions for me. The tank is a 30 gallon Oceanic cube, not one with the integrated filtration system, just the glass. I am running a Seaclone 100 Protein Skimmer, a CPR HOB Refugium, an internal circulation pump, a heater (obviously), and a combination of an 18" 15 watt actinic NO florescent, and two 9watt 10,000K bulbs in a Coralife Mini-Aqualight.

I have a large amount of live rock in my tank, not sure how many lbs., some mushrooms, zoanthids, yellow polyps, a feather duster, and green star polyps, along with 2 B&W Ocellaris Clowns, about 8 Peppermint Snails, a few blue legged Hermit Crabs, a single Turbo Snail, and a Falco Hawkfish. The tank has been running since May and has been doing great for me. This is my first venture into saltwater, but I have been keeping fresh tanks for about 5 years now.

I have a couple of ?s though...
    First of all, would a large (diameter of about 6-8" when open) leather coral, placed near the top of the tank, do well under this lighting? I have heard that they do alright in low light, and the leather would be under the MIni-Aqualight more so than it would be under the NO Actinic.

Secondly, I dose Calcium, Alkalinity Buffer, and Trace Elements every other day and Iodine once per week. I feed the tank once each morning with 1/5 of a block of cubed bloodworms. I change out 5 gallons a week with RO/DI water mixed with Reef Crystals Salt. I use my powerhead weekly to clean the top layer of substrate and move detritus around from off my LR.

Are there any other things I should be focusing on? Anything more that I should be supplementing? Should I feed the tank twice daily? I began feeding them only once daily in order to cut down on my Nitrates.

Anyway, like I said, I'm just interested in getting some feedback and comments about my set-up and husbandry.
    Thanks to all posters and happy reefing.

55 Gallon - Reef
    55 Gallon - Red-Eared Slider
    20 Gallon - Brackish/Figure 8 Puffer

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    And a few more...

0 Not allowed!
    Get more lighting on there ASAP, the 15watt strip and the 18watt strip is definatly not enough to support corals. Your yellow zoas are stretching toward the light trying to get enough. The corals you have are low light and will hang on in that low of light for awhile but eventually they wont, most of their food is made from symbiotic algae which needs a good amount of light. I would definatly get at the very least a 4bulb HOT5 fixture or a 130watt PC fixture.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon