· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: M/F Ratio

Default M/F Ratio

0 Not allowed!
    I'm in the process of setting up a 90 gallon tank, and after going back and forth a lot, I've finally decided to make it a rainbow tank with two or three species. (probably Boesemani and turquoise, plus maybe one other species) As might be expected, my research has put me on information overload. I have a pretty fair idea as to water parameters, etc., but the male-to-female ratio is something that I haven't found a definitive answer to. Seems like everybody has a different opinion as to what ratio will keep male/female aggression to a minimum. If any experienced rainbow keepers can help, I'm all ears. (I have no interest in breeding) Thanks in advance.

0 Not allowed!
    I have kept just pairs, just males as well as 2 F/1 male ratio. Unless you're planning to spawn, just males are fine. Since they don't fight like cats and dogs, it all works.

PS.....Turqoise and bosemani is what I have. I also had the Austrialin Splendia and didn't like them at all! They are nuts. A big school of the neon rainbow would make a nice filler.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 06-03-2011 at 03:55 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the quick reply lady - I like your idea of the neon shoal - it would certainly make for a stunning display. I've read that neons prefer different water parameters than the others - am I just worrying too much? My water tends to be on the alkaline side and slightly hard. (as you can tell, I have zero experience with rainbows - they weren't readily available when I had my tanks years ago)

0 Not allowed!
    I have hard water with 7.6 pH. They do just fine. Even if rainbows spawn in the tank, they eat their own eggs so you won't be over-run with them. But since you don't plan on breeding them, all males will give you prettier fish.

0 Not allowed!
    Many thanks for the input. This is going to be my display tank in the living room, so I'm hoping to get everything right the first time around. (for a change LOL)