· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    You have peeked my curiosity about the baffle-less sump. I’m really interested to see how it will work. That option had never occurred to me when planning and setting up my sump
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Nor did it to me until I actually sat and thought about it for a little and I was like what they heck to do they even do haha...

From my reading the basic purpose of them is to act as a bubble trap and to keep the water level controlled in the different compartments.

People have warned me about having evaporation and having to tinker with my skimmer, however I plan to have an auto top off system so that shouldn't be a problem since they said the evaporation will cause a change in the water level, again I'm not worried since I'll have an auto top off... biggest problem I think will be bubbles... However I honestly don't know until I really run my system fully.

When I did a test on my return line the pump wasn't creating any major issues with the return line into the sump bubbling up... I'll have to post a pic some time tomorrow of my return line set up so you guys have some idea what I'm talking about since I know I've begun to ramble haha
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

0 Not allowed!
    Ice Cap 660 system w/ end caps has been purchased today. I've also found Ice Cap individual reflectors on foster&smith's site, grand total for all equipment will be around 250 which is pretty solid to get a 4 lamp system up and running. I'm happy with it at least, plus it gives me the ability to add later on another pair of bulbs to try and get some nice corals in there, but baby steps for now haha

Should be purchasing my skimmer soon as well. Going for the eshopps psk 100 which is rated up to 75 gallons so I should be fine and it's gotten solid reviews online for the price of only 115.

After that is bought and the tank has been drilled I'll be breaking in the skimmer and just letting it do it's thing for a while and then I'll add the sand and rock and start my cycle hopefully around the end of December. Until then the reading and questioning will continue lol
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

0 Not allowed!
    I've heard some good things about Ice Cap products. I think you will be happy with your lighting

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyhead019
    biggest problem I think will be bubbles... However I honestly don't know until I really run my system fully.
    If you do get bubbles in your sump which get sucked up by the skimmer and becomes a problem for it, you can aways put a filtersock on the drain line to get rid of all the bubbles. Thats what I had to do in my old sump and it worked great.

Just keep in mind you will need 2 or 3 of them so you can change them every 2 to thres days allowing you time to wash the dirty one so its ready to go back on the tank.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Yup thanks for the heads up Cliff... from what I've read this skimmer really doesn't put out a lot of bubbles back into the sump, those that it does are micro and you really can't tell... so I'm hoping that goes smoothly haha

Next update probably will be the lighting build so stay tuned but there will probably be about a week or so in down time.

0 Not allowed!
    Ok well the coring bit came today and is the completely wrong size haha so that kinda sucks but I was able to take it back and get the 20 bucks back. So I think I'm just gonna stick with my original idea of how to plumb the tank. Definitely doesn't look as appealing but it'll get the job done and I think it'll be fine (he says over confidently haha)

Side not I ordered the light bulbs and reflectors as well as the Eshopps in sump skimmer which will fit perfectly in my sump...

Starting to get more and more excited as I approach the time to get rock and sand into the tank

For my bulbs I got all ATI since I've read great things about them.

2 x ATI Blue (blue bulbs but put out a huge amount of PAR)
    1 x 12k Daylight bulb
    1 x Purple Plus

Well I'll start with them and see how they look... I can see it being very blue and florescent haha but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I'll post again once I start building the lights and after I test the overflow to make sure it passes the power outage test haha

0 Not allowed!
    I think your going to like that lighting with those bulbs. It's almost the same as one fixture at our SW LFS and it really brings out the color of the corals and fish

I'm going to take the same type of approach for my lighting as well

0 Not allowed!
    Yea Cliff after searching and searching I found this is the most cost efficient way to do it... most likely won't look as pretty as a factory built fixture but it'll definitely do the job from everything I've read. Especially if I add another two bulbs later on (which I'd like to do for the sun rise/set action)

Side note, finally wet tested the plumbing, and it works well but the drain can't keep up with my pump to save it's life haha I'm looking into ways to maximize flow but I'm thinking I may need a second drain line, I'll be tinkering for a while but bottom line is it all works which is great! Skimmer and all lighting is due to arrive at the end of the week or so. I'll break the skimmer in downstairs in the basement and then empty everything out and move it up to my room

Cliff if I'll make sure to post pictures of the lighting and everything pretty in detail if you'd like, it really doesn't seem that hard but I wanna build it so it looks sharp haha

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    I wish I was a bit more 'handy'. I'm good with duct tape and bailer twine...otherwise not so good...

Good job!
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyhead019
    Cliff if I'll make sure to post pictures of the lighting and everything pretty in detail if you'd like, it really doesn't seem that hard but I wanna build it so it looks sharp haha
    Outstanding !

I would love to see a good DIY lighting post

Thx

Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast