· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Only the bottom of the tank is tempered, the sides are just normal glass... and the diamond tip is just so it works lol can't cut glass with steal or carbon fiber... both have been tried and the drill will just run down the glass...

Cliff yea the budget is a b**** lol but hey I wanna do this so I'm gonna make it work haha I'll definitely post some pics when I do it (should be tomorrow) and possibly a video... most likely just pictures tho haha
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    OH I see. My 125 had a overflow and returns drilled from the bottom.. I liked having the return in the tank but the overflow inside the tank stunk. I bet it will work better on the side like you're going to do.

0 Not allowed!
    Yea if you have things going through the bottom then you've had tempered glass drilled and yea I don't think an over flow from the bottom would work as well but idk I'm hoping this works out well haha I'll be heading to Sears Hardware later today to get the bit and hopefully the tank will be drilled by this evening or tomorrow. I'll let you guys know how it went
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

0 Not allowed!
    Ok well the bit I need to core out the hole is nowhere around me so I'm ordering it online. Made a little progress today, created my return line and water tested that... works great no leaks and I can semi control the amount of flow going to the main tank via a tee line I installed to determine how much water goes back into the sump and how much goes to the main tank... works like a charm and man o man can that MAG drive crank out some water lol

As for the rest of this weekend (which has gone by way too fast) I'm going to try and install the baffles for my sump after I get all the water out from the test tonight and probably going to make my own overflow box inside the tank, just out of plexi-glass and I'll silicone it to the tank where I plan to have it.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thats what I was talking about, I had a overflow that was built inside the tank... it was a major pain to keep clean, it works well.. but it's a lot of work. If I had to go back and do it again I'd get the HOB overflows in a heartbeat.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyhead019
    As for the rest of this weekend (which has gone by way too fast) I'm going to try and install the baffles for my sump after I get all the water out from the test tonight and probably going to make my own overflow box inside the tank, just out of plexi-glass and I'll silicone it to the tank where I plan to have it.
    I would suggest going with glass baffles. Silicone will not stick very well to plexi-glass. That'e why I found a local glass shop to cut some baffles for my new 55 gallon sump.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Hmmm good point Cliff, but I was thinking what's the point of having baffles anyways? Just curious lol I mean I know they act as bubble traps but is there another benefit to them besides controlling the flow?

And domjd5 idk mine won't be real big so hopefully it really isn't too much of a pain but I guess I'll have to wait and see since my bit is on the way and due to arrive the first week of december.

Just about finished the stand today, well by that I mean I added some support and backed it with plywood, but i'm thinking about just leaving the front open... idk I think it'd be kinda cool to see the sump but i haven't completely decided on that yet lol.
    Last edited by hockeyhead019; 11-21-2010 at 08:47 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyhead019
    Hmmm good point Cliff, but I was thinking what's the point of having baffles anyways? Just curious lol I mean I know they act as bubble traps but is there another benefit to them besides controlling the flow?.
    From what I've learned by setting my my sump is that you can use the baffles to determine the water level in each compartment. If your using a in-sump skimmer that would be important. Also, making you pump compartment deep enough for your pump and to allow for a little evaportation while your away These could be two different depths.

You would want use the hight of your baffles to allow for the maximum water hight you can (to increase your total water volumn) and to allow for enough room to hold any back flow should the power go out.

I hope this is more useful than my last post
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Ok gotcha... thanks for the info!

0 Not allowed!
    Well the executive decision has been made... no baffles in the sump... I've been reading around and really haven't seen enough of a benefit to them so I think I'm gonna do without, I know it really isn't that big of a deal but just figured I'd keep you guys informed about the thought/build process of the tank. I'm buying an Ice Cap 660 system off a dude in Cali. for 100 so that's an awesome deal and then I'll begin construction of my lighting hood... yup decided to go DIY after all I'll have pictures up when I start building it

Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast