· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Ok no major progress to report unfortunately haven't had the time to do anything but research lately :/ O well... I've been looking at lighting and I've reached the conculsion that I'm just gonna drop the largest amount of cash on that sucker looking like $300ish which kinda eats up the majority of my budget :( but it'll just delay the entire process slightly, anyways I'm looking at a Catalina T5 6x54w fixture so that way I can just keep whatever coral I want haha (or at least that's what I tell myself lol)

Things to do:

1. Stand (I really hope this will be done this weekend since it's the main thing holding up my progress at this point)

2. Baffles in sump (quick but I just haven't had the time as of late to knock it out, should be this week or next)

3. Get everything moved into the room and get the system running with water (will probably be just fresh water at first so I can tweak my plumbing and make sure everything is gravy before I mix the salt water)

That's the short term plan. Right now it's still in the reading/researching stage but I'm really looking forward this whole process... hitchhikers on the rock are something I look forward to in particular haha

-Jim
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

0 Not allowed!
    I'm looking forword to the Sunday night pic up-dates of all you work

No pressure tho

You know I'm just teasing you. But I am looking forword to see the progress as you go. It's really cool to see your up-dates as we are both learning and setting up our first salt water tanks at the same time.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Yea definitely convenient to have you working on your tank at the same time! Even though you're slightly (read WAY) ahead of me lol

And hopefully I'll have some pics on sunday haha.... emphasis on the hopefully lol
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

0 Not allowed!
    Nothing accomplished this weekend... maybe some time this week but I really need to get this stand built so that I can get the ball rolling

0 Not allowed!
    I know how you feel. I hate it when I'm to busy work on something for a new set-up

But you do realize I'll be looking for pics next weekend
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Lol that's what I was telling myself last night "How could I have let Cliff down" lol but yea definitely hoping to get the stand and hopefully some baffles put in place in my sump at some point this week (stand is higher in priority clearly lol)

0 Not allowed!
    Ok here we go... the frame of the stand is shown here:

There is the skeleton (not a great picture haha took it from my phone)

The plan is to add doors for the front and a plywood backing and probably two more supports on the back side just to make it extra sturdy.

Pretty simple construction, only took me about an hour and a half. Circular saw (great because it just buzzed through the 2x4's haha) 5 2x4's (the cheap construction grade ones) a bunch of dry wall screws (yea that's all we had and I didn't feel like going back out since they got the job done) and a drill driver... mission accomplished.

Now I'll cut the remaining length so that my PVC drain line enters the sump where I want it to as well as make my return line (a mix between flexible 3/4" line and 3/4" PVC)

Anybody have any tips on how to get your drain line to stay in one place? the way I made mine it leans lol so I need to figure out some way to get it to just be mounted.

Making progress.... slowly... very slowly haha

0 Not allowed!
    Excellent, its all starting to come together now.

I would also suggest 2 additional 2X4s added at each corner in between the top frame and the bottom frame. This will give you direct wood to wood contact directly from the tank to the floor. It will make it even more solid. But then again, I like to over build my stand a little.

Have you picked a skimmer yet? The reason why I ask is that you might want to make sure that you leave enough height so the skimmer will fit in your sump and you have enough room to remove the cup as well as removing the skimmer for routine monthly maintenance. I would hate to see you limited in your skimmer choices due to stand height.
    Last edited by Cliff; 11-18-2010 at 03:55 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Yea I was definitely planning on adding corner pieces to give tank to wood to wood to ground contact... and as far as skimmers go the inside is around 25 inches which will be tight since from what most of the one's I've been looking at are around 23" in height or so... I was gonna get the eShopps 150 I think it was. And I don't plan on having to empty the cup too much. I was going to run clear tubing into a 2 liter bottle so the cup from the skimmer just drains all the gunk into that.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    looks like a great start!
    10g Freshwater Planted- 1 Redtail Shark, 2 Zebra Longfin Danio, 1 Trinidad Pleco.

3g Pico Saltwater Mini Reef - (Coming Soon)

20g Freshwater Planted- (In Progress)