· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Ok so after three days with the rock in the tank here's the testing results...

Ammonia: .5 to 1.0ppm
    Nitrite: 2 to 5 ppm
    Nitrate: 40 to 80 ppm?? (Don't know about this one so much)
    Phosphate: 0 to .25ppm (this was just outta curiosity I know it doesn't matter till later in the game)

I was looking at That Pet Place and was wondering if anybody could offer a little insight about winter shipping. Good idea for a CUC to get shipped during the cold? Doesn't matter? What do you guys think.

I'm just trying to plan ahead lol
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

0 Not allowed!
    The only problem with shipping in winter is if for some reason the package gets hung up somewhere for a day or 2 bad things can happen. A heat pack will only stay warm for so long. If you do order online make sure its a week with no storm in site. Defiantly don't order this week with that huge storm headed our way

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump

0 Not allowed!
    Wish I could help with the CUC shipping question, but I have no experiance there.

Looks like your cycle is moving along nicely

Your nitrate reading dose seam a littler higher than expected, at least to me. Mine didn't go much over 30ppm but I only used ~30% live rock to cycle the tank. I would be careful of how much light you put on the tank to help aviod or reduce a bad algae break-out. My might also want to do a large (as large as you can) water change when the cycle is done.

Did you use all live rock to cycle the tank or ws there some dry rock used ?

The reason why I ask is that you can have nitrates and phosphates leach out of dry rock if you don't pre-soak it before the cycle.

Also, if your skimmer is still breaking in right now, it won't be doing much to help your water parameters until ist broken in.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Yea cliff they seemed high to mee too but I didn't have a chance to double test em since I had to go to work:/

I'll test again tomorrow before I do my waterchange

As for the live rock question I am using about 30lbs of dry base rock so that could be where the excessive nitrates are coming from. Right now the light is being kept to a minimum the best I can.

And how will I know when the skimmer is done breaking in? Is there any tell tale sign of when it's good to go?

@labnjab. Definitely not gonna order anything for the next couple week cuz of this storm coming as well as one coming next week early in the week apparently. Plus my cycle isn't done yet and I definitely don't wanna kill anything that I put in there.

I appreciate all the input/help guys!
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

0 Not allowed!
    [QUOTE=hockeyhead019]And how will I know when the skimmer is done breaking in? Is there any tell tale sign of when it's good to go?QUOTE]

When mine was finally broken in, it starting to work consitantly (consistant flow of foam up into the neck) and started putting the same amount of crud in the cup each day. That took between 1 and 2 weeks for my skimmer. From what I have read, that's pretty common
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Yup skimmer breakin period has been put at about a week and a half... so mine isn't done yet lol

Ok here's today's test results (5 days of LR in tank)

Ammonia : .5ppm
    Trites : 2-5 ppm (closer to 5 as it was a very pure purple)
    Trates : 40-80 ppm (tough to tell where in that range it would actually be)

I'm starting to get a little worried (or maybe just over reacting) but shouldn't there be some reduction in the trites. Also what happens if your ammonia goes to 0 but you're still showing trites and trates? Do you have to add some more ammonia or should I just shut my trap and stop my worrying? lol

Idk if water changes are recommended or not during cycling anybody any opinions/info? There really isn't anything in the tank to kill so I'm not really worried about levels getting too high but I don't wanna kill the bacteria that's growing right now by accident by letting levels get too high lol

0 Not allowed!
    Just stop worrying, lol. Your still early in the cycle, it could take a week or two. don't add any ammonia the live rock will feed itself. The ammonia will go to 0, the the nitrites, and soon after the nitrates will start to drop to near 0 or 0

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump

0 Not allowed!
    Ok so just wait it out... all of it? I can do that haha I just wanna make sure i"m not messing anythin up outta the gate haha thanks for the help labnjab

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like everything is going well, glad to hear it

0 Not allowed!
    Ok so just a list of things I've seen in the tank so far:

3 clams (on is in the sand and the other two are on the rocks (and there may be a fourth but idk where she went lol)

Little clear pods... at least I assume that's what they are, they're tiny and look like aquatic pill bugs kind of haha they zip around and then hide the instant the light comes on

Aipstasia... lots of em :/ the count it up to 6 decently sized ones and a couple more smaller guys. I plan on getting a peppermint shrimp to deal with them

Small colorful... things lol... they come out of these tubes in the rock and they're very colorful and they look like coral heads but they're too feathery to be that haha, I really don't know what they actually are to tell ya the truth anybody have any ideas? They're really cool, colorful but they suck back into their hiding spot when you shine the flashlight on them and then they'll slowly re-emerge

Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast