· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Question Betta food questions etc..

0 Not allowed!
    I will be getting 2 betta's this weekend, for 10 gallon divided tank. I have a few, maybe dumb questions (you never know until you ask).

So I read about different things to feed betta's and I am going to feed them betta pellets, and frozen bloodworms and/or shrimp. Pellets should be their main diet correct? How do you usually feed the pellets? Some people say they soak them before giving them to betta's, others say they just drop it into the water... What is the best way?

Also when there is leftover food, how and with what do you usually remove the food?

When feeding bloodworms, how often do you usually feed them this, since this is a "treat" for them? Once a week, twice a week, or is it just when I feel like it?

I finally, after 30+ days, got the cycling down, and now I am actually going to have live fish and I don't want to screw up, my daughter would be devistated.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

here's your first algae! - Lady Hobbs   more fishies - Lady Hobbs   needs a friend - Lady Hobbs   Wait... you have THAT 210 and no discus gifts yet???   :) - harpua2002   No Message - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    fish shop bettas are very stressed fish, dont be surprised if one or both die fairly quickly. When I kept them I had them in community tanks and they ate a flake mix I use and frozen foods as well. They are surface eaters and always ate at the top of the water, sometimes lower for the frozen mix but just drop em in dry, they will float. give them 3-5 pellets each to start, start with 1 then another ect to insure they are eating, you dont want it to folat and fungus up.

What filter are you using?

Mine get frozen twice a day and flakes once as far as feeding what and when and how often. IF you do give them frozen, i suggest Hikari as its really clean and good stuff thats readily available at petsmart, I would get the 4oz flat pack of bloodworms or brineshrimps ect and crush the package up so you get small crumbles where its alot less waste.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I am doing 2 filters, Aquatech that came with the tank on one side, and AC on the other side. Will be baffling both sides.

They are surface eaters and always ate at the top of the water, sometimes lower for the frozen mix but just drop em in dry, they will float.
    Ok I wasn't sure if the food would float or just sink... good to know.
    I have a petsmart and petco, so I will look for the Hikari brand.

I really hope they don't die! I feel so bad everytime I go to the store and see those bettas in a tiny container and see half of them dead.
    I will try to find the two healthier looking bettas and acclimate them using the drip method I saw on this site.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep and kind comments. - gabbyguppy   

0 Not allowed!
    I just feed mine the floating pellets (Hikari brand), and they eat them just fine. Although they're not in their new ten gallon (yet!), so there's no filter current. Though I'm sure being the lively fish bettas are, if the current made it go away, they would be able to swim and get it.

I would ask the store when they get their fish/betta shipment in. Come in about a day or two after that, and they should be a lot healthier. Fish that are fresh from shipping are stressed terribly. Although they get adjusted to the store for a couple days, I think it's better than having them change water so quickly (shipping bag, store, new tank) or letting them sit and get sick.

Good luck! I think divided betta tanks are really neat.
    29 Gallon: Tetras, blue Gourami, Corys

~~~~~~~~
    10 Gallon: Cosmo - Red Veiltail
    Blog

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - korith   I`m glad your pleco has new BIG home! - Rue   A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228   big, greasy burger for you - Lady Hobbs   and cake  LOL - Lady Hobbs   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Gisela   

0 Not allowed!
    After my Bettas never lasted more than 8 month I ordered my last one from a breeder at AquBid.com. Needless to say he is so much more alive and feisty. I never buy them in that cups again.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    It sounds like everyone likes the Hikari brand, so I try those out.
    I will call the pet store and see when there next shipment will be.

I have looked at aquabid.com and heard good things about the fish, but I look at the shipping costs and might just have to wait to go that route. They do have beautiful fish though!!

Thanks everyone for your help!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   DT runner up-you deserve a cookie! - Boundava   Thanks for the Birthday wishes. - Taurus   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - gadget228   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - gadget228   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - gadget228   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - gadget228   Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus -  Animal Cruelty - gadget228   

0 Not allowed!
    I got my betta from my LFS and asked what food they fed him and bought Hikari betta pellets and he wouldn't touch them, tried for 3 days then decided to try the Omega One flakes that I fed to my others and he ate it up. I have other Hikari products and my community tank members love them.
    You're getting old when you get the same sensation from a rocking chair that you once got from a roller coaster.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your new tank! - Northernguy   Congrats on your new fish!!! - Jill   you need a new fish for your AC tank - Crispy   Sorry about your loss - his name is Sidney - Xavier   

0 Not allowed!
    All of my uh...7 bettas have been pet store bettas and they have all done just fine. You just have to really observe them. Buy a good one, whose water is clear/clean. Make sure there is no cottony looking stuff on them and they have good fins, not tattered or torn (unless it's a crowntail-then it's hard to tell.

I usually keep my bettas in a medicated, heated tank for about a week. Since you are getting two together, you can just medicate the whole tank as a preventative.

I feed mine either Hikari Pellets or pellets from Ed. They eat that every day, twice a day. I do fast them for one day. Every now and again they get a pea or two. About twice a week I substitute an evening feeding for something yummy- Tubifex worms, shrimp, bloodworms, Brine shrimp.

After I use up all my staple pellet food- all fish will be switching over to New Life Spectrum with Garlic.
    30g:: Planted: 1 SAE, 1 Bristlenose Pleco, 5 Guppies, 3 Platys, 1 zebra danio, 9 Rasboras

2.5g: 1 Male Betta

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    After I use up all my staple pellet food- all fish will be switching over to New Life Spectrum with Garlic
    I see Petco selling them, I will check it out when I go there. I heard they don't float very long though.

I usually keep my bettas in a medicated, heated tank for about a week. Since you are getting two together, you can just medicate the whole tank as a preventative.
    What kind of medication?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your new tank! - Northernguy   Congrats on your new fish!!! - Jill   you need a new fish for your AC tank - Crispy   Sorry about your loss - his name is Sidney - Xavier   

0 Not allowed!
    Just a weak dose of melafix. Just to make sure they don't have anything yucky.

I use half the dose, unless I see something wrong, and then raise it to the desired amount. Some folks don't like to use it for bettas, but they make a betta variety too.
    30g:: Planted: 1 SAE, 1 Bristlenose Pleco, 5 Guppies, 3 Platys, 1 zebra danio, 9 Rasboras

2.5g: 1 Male Betta